Day 8 - Prairie City to Austin Junction: Short Steep Day - Off To See the Wizard - CycleBlaze

June 5, 2014

Day 8 - Prairie City to Austin Junction: Short Steep Day

Today was short and sweet. We were a little lazy about getting out as we knew we were not going to far. We decided that we didn't feel we were up for three (3) passes over 5,000 ft and 69 miles. So, we took one of the climbs out today came down to Austin Junction and have spent the afternoon here. It's almost a day off......

Leaving Praire City
Heart 0 Comment 0

The climb up Dixie Pass took just over two hrs. It was 9 mi up to 5,277 ft. The good news is we are getting stronger and it didn't seem quite so bad. Then it was a quick seven miles down to Austin Junction. The down again was great didn't need to break the whole way down. While we were speeding down we passed four young people walking up the hill. Later we learned they are walking from Boise, ID to the coast of Oregon! They were pushing a wheelchair?

Camping here at Austin House behind the the store and restaurant. Christy is a very warm host and very accommodating to bicycle travelers. You can shower for $5, use the bathroom until closing and have a wonderful meal or two. First thing I did was take a nap. Think I slept over an hour. We also met Meaghan, Christy's daughter who is an up and coming professional photographer. Was fun talking photography. We have had lunch, desert and now it's time for dinner. All in all a nice day.

More vista views today!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Found this along the way.....see I can have my photo taken
Heart 1 Comment 0
They roll a little different - all the way from Virginia
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wagon Wheel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flower of the Day
Heart 0 Comment 0
This sign was on the other side of the road?!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of Meaghan's Work
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quilts for Mom
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 16 miles (26 km)
Total: 309 miles (497 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0