Day 6 - Mitchell to Dayville: A Beautiful Fun Ride....well after that thing about 1500ft up the first 6 miles. - Off To See the Wizard - CycleBlaze

June 3, 2014

Day 6 - Mitchell to Dayville: A Beautiful Fun Ride....well after that thing about 1500ft up the first 6 miles.

Despite the party atmosphere of the other guests (you would think they were on a holiday or something) we did get some sleep and were up and out pretty early. The SF girls were just about to leave too but we wouldn't leap frog with them today as they hitched a ride over the hill because they had to get to the next town with a motel...which is John Day. That would have been a 70+ mile day for them. They did pass us when we were on about mile two of our climb out of Mitchell. They were in a pickup with the bikes in back....WTG ladies.

Looking Back At Mitchell...climb out.
Heart 0 Comment 0

So this climb was 1500 ft at about a 6% constant grade with some spots a little steeper. We were prepared for it mentally and it went really well. In fact I had to try and pace myself. Hope this is a good sign. Jack was better at pacing today and had a great climb.

One Last Look At This Cone - Mitchell Below
Heart 0 Comment 0

We reached the top of Keyes Creek Pass 4,357 ft in just about 1hr 50 min. Not bad.....the down was the fun!! Not only was it beautiful it was 24 miles of pure joy..no breaking necessary. Just a gentle down with a few rollers through amazing canyons and a gorge named Picture Gorge. We stopped by the John Day River for a lunch break and watched a family of Canadian Geese going about their day. Then it was on in to Dayville.

Just after the summit there was a real cattle drive with cowboys and everything. They had the cattle in a holding area with a loading shoot all set up just waiting for the cattle truck to pull up. Catherine if you are reading this one of the horses that was tied up looked just like Diva. Thought you came to join us. I tried to get his photo but he was a little upset with our bikes so I let it go.

We are staying at the Dayville Community Presbyterian Church. It is basically a bicycling hostel. You are welcome to stay, sleep anywhere but the pews, shower, cook and do laundry. We have done all of the above. thanks so much. All they ask is a donation. Not bad from a town of only 200 or maybe less. True community feeling. When we arrived it was mid afternoon and there was a class so we were waiting out in the shade ...however we left our bikes parked in the sun. Lesson number???? When we came in my back tire was flat and Jack's front. The heat had melted the patches on the tubes of mine and Jack just had a leak. Jack didn't get as much rest as Janet. He is still fighting with the patches.

At the top!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cowboys!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are A little concerned that these three peaks coincide with the three passes we have to cross in the next few days. We will let you know.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Picture Gorge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dayville
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pooped!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Good Night!
Heart 0 Comment 0

I think I realize why we are moving so slow.......to many photo stops?! Never!!

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 247 miles (398 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0