Day 50 - Ordway to Eads: Return of the Fly....do you remember that movie? - Off To See the Wizard - CycleBlaze

July 18, 2014

Day 50 - Ordway to Eads: Return of the Fly....do you remember that movie?

The old hotel was really solid and quiet....we slept like logs. Our room had two doors one into the main hotel and one out a back door with a side yard and tables. We used those to fix our breakfast of oatmeal and we were out of there by 6:15am.

Leaving the Hotel Ordway
Heart 0 Comment 0
Girl Playing In Park Last Evening...across from hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We found the Tin Man at dinner! Kansas must be close.
Heart 1 Comment 0

What we found was 'fog'! We felt right at home in fact it made us a little homesick. July and August in Monterey can be pretty foggy.........how has the summer been? (To those in the Monterey area)

Leaving Ordway - looked like we were on our daily ride to Pebble Beach.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Jack trying to find the road signs.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Seems that we are still not on the 'down' side of Colorado yet. We had a day of slight/gradual incline but w/o wind. Yes! Because we were out so early and the fog didn't lift until almost 11am we had very little wind today. When it did show up it was a southeast wind which means it was a little bit of a tailwind. Even with the slight rolling hills we made it to Eads by 1:15. As we were getting close to Eads I thought I saw the guy from yesterday with the light load and I was determined to not have him pass us......I took off and made a dash into Eads and he did NOT pass us.

Again there isn't much here but when we pulled in front of our motel, Travelers Lodge, we saw a brand new motel just before it........let's just say the Travelers Lodge looks a little dicey and we were wondering if we should go to the new place. We had a hold reservation (our map said this was the only one in town so we called yesterday). We looked at the room and again it isn't bad and the price I am sure is much less than the new place. It is under new management and they are trying to fix it up. We wonder what gets someone to invest their money and time into places like this? Seems futile to me but am glad there are optimistic folks out there and we are doing our best to support them.

Sugar City...doesn't seem so sweet! The days of sugar beet harvest are long gone!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road was lined with sunflowers yesterday and most of today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old "filling" station coming into Haswell. There is a newer one on down the road about half a mile that also has a tiny store. They at least had Gatorade.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Haswell....we could see this grain elevator for several miles. Guess we will be seeing this a lot in the next week.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I almost forgot ...the flies. Around mile 40 they started to come around. They seem to be horse flies and they sting/bite. Can you guess how fast you need to go to keep them from landing? Yep...12-15 mph. Believe me it was good motivation they hurt!

Not much out here.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Oh yea.....tomorrow we will be in Kansas! Can't believe it.

All in all a very nice day.

Would be great to have fog and sunflowers all next week! What a way to end the trip. We hope to be in Junction City on the 25th.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 miles (100 km)
Total: 1,923 miles (3,095 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0