Day 5 - Prineville to Mitchell: This was supposed to be an easy ride! - Off To See the Wizard - CycleBlaze

June 2, 2014

Day 5 - Prineville to Mitchell: This was supposed to be an easy ride!

We were up and out early on what was anticipated to be a not so bad day. We had read that "yes" this would be a climb (30+ miles) over Ochoco Pass at 4,720 ft, but not bad.....only 3-4% with a few steeper parts and then a downhill into Mitchell". Except for a little climb in the last mile or so. Sounds good - right?

Well here's the thing...if you have a constant grade of 3-5% with a couple of 7-10% thrown in for 30 miles........it can get to you. The constant up means you never have a chance to rest/coast and after several days of this our legs were pretty spent. We did really well the first 20 miles. Having Ochoco Creek on our right all day and then passing Ochoco Lake (be sure to keep your mouth shut here...I should have been a swallow). Then we started to fade so we took more breaks, drank more water and tried to eat more often. Little bits of energy.

This worked for a little while just enough to get us over the pass - down a really fun down hill UNTIL the head winds started and the little uphill into town turned into a 3-5% grade AND it was hot. We later learned it was 95! We are not in Monterey anymore! We were hoping to ease into the hot weather, giving us a little more acclamation time. Our legs were gone.

During the day we played leap frog with three women from San Francisco. One of them, Jan is making her 9th crossing at age 70! It was fun to have others out there with us. There was also a guy we saw yesterday twice ...he passed us early today saying he was going all the way to John Day. About an 80 mile day?! He only has a camelback as it seems he has his own support sag wagon. We need one of those.....any takers?

The sights were beautiful today. Early on we were in a Ponderosa Pine forest then after the pass amazing views that look like Jurassic Park. Turns out not far from the truth. This area is a hot bed of fossil beds and beautiful rock formations. Very arid and dry......we did use our foldable platypus water bottles today. We are glad we did.

Tonight we are in the Oregon Hotel. It is an old style western hotel with shared showers and rest rooms. There is camping in the city park but we're toast!!!

Leaving Prineville early this morning...what a sky!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful Farms
Heart 0 Comment 0
Break Stop..re-fuel
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beautiful Views All Day
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flower of the Day.....Mule's Ears
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another farm
Heart 1 Comment 0
Made it to the top!
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are staying in the Safari Room....said we must be adventuresome? ya, think!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Room Decor
Heart 0 Comment 0
Corner of our room..
Heart 0 Comment 0
Other corner
Heart 0 Comment 0
My inner artist!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Good Night....this little hotel is very noisy. We are beginning to wish we had stayed in the park!! We would only be hearing the barking dog not all the neighbors in the other rooms. We have always shied away from B&B type places just for this reason....lesson learned never make a decision when you are 'toast'. Give it a minute or two.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 209 miles (336 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0