Day 49 - Pueblo to Ordway: Are You Cyclists or “Regular Folks”?! - Off To See the Wizard - CycleBlaze

July 17, 2014

Day 49 - Pueblo to Ordway: Are You Cyclists or “Regular Folks”?!

In the breakfast room today there were three guys talking about how hot it is on their "bikes" how they are tired of getting wet and generally just talking about difficult conditions. So, I said you must be on motorcycles? They didn't much look like cyclists......but I don't want to judge. Well, we are on bicycles and have been going through the same thing. Your way seems pretty easy to me....they laughed and then wanted to know the usual info. Where going, how long have you been out there, where start....wow! That made us feel good.

This morning was nice and cool. It was already overcast and the dark clouds were gathering. We needed to get from the West side of Pueblo to the South East side and onto Hwy 96 so we would be back on the TransAm. If you are over on Hwy 50 take Elizabeth St to 4th Street. Fourth turns into Hwy 96 turn left and head East. We have been on the road 49 days and are finally heading East. Jack was so frustrated back in Montana that we were going so far North to go East. Then we went South East forever.....feels good to be going in the right direction.

There has been a ton of rain in this area for a week or so. In fact the last few days there has been flooding. We passed several locations with evidence of that. Just before Crowley we came to a spot where they were cleaning up the sand overflow. Said the road we were on was flooded out and closed two days ago. Seems our timing is still pretty good.....

We are still amazed that we can cover so many miles so quickly....with good conditions. We had very little wind today and a flat to nearly flat ride. That put us here by 1:30pm! Will be getting an early start from now on as the temps are supposed to go back to the 90's with high humidity. We will ride most of our miles before noon and then rest the rest of the day. So worth the effort to be out early.

We called from Olney Springs to the Ordway Hotel to book a room as it is the only game in town. The building isn't much but it has been a hotel for 112 yrs and the rooms are very nice. We beat the rain.....heard yesterday it rained so hard here that all the streets were flooded. The hotel owner said be careful if you step off your bike onto the ground around the roads.......because of all the rain and flooding the rattle snakes are being flooded out of their nesting. No problem I will not be stepping into the grassy areas!

Beautiful Old Homes On Elizabeth Street
Heart 0 Comment 0
House Across the Street
Heart 0 Comment 0
First Corn Field
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flood Area
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped to eat a bite across from this old barn. 99.9% of or food breaks have been on the shoulder of the road. There just are not places to pull off- so we pick a spot that is at least photo worthy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Find the guard kitty!
Heart 0 Comment 0
There she/he is.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This guy passed us twice today. First time he was in a fuss about the possible rain. Said he was going to stop in Boone and call his weather guy in Florida...he did stop. Then about an hour or so later he came by again said "weather guy said go for it". We are in the same Hotel....when he passed us last he said "I don't camp anymore or carry anything....I'm lots older than you". Turns out he is three years younger than me! He does travel light.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our 112 year old Hotel Room. Guess we are "Regular Folks" she let us stay. She was the one who ask us that question. BTW-bikes are not allowed in the rooms. We had to leave them in a fenced area behind the hotel. They are most likely not happy.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 1,861 miles (2,995 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0