Day 39 - Muddy Gap to Rawlins: Plan B - Off To See the Wizard - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2014

Day 39 - Muddy Gap to Rawlins: Plan B

It is a good feeling when things work the way you hope and plan.

Rested legs and bottoms feeling better after a short day and some soaking in our fav.....Epsom Salt. We asked the owner of the station /motel if he had any for sale. He laughed and said no...but wait just a moment. He came back with a 15lb bucket....said his wife likes to soak in it. He just gave us some. What a guy.

Crack for Cyclists.....Epsom Salt
Heart 0 Comment 0

We lounged around our "apartment" (kitchen, living room, bedroom and bath) all afternoon. Time well spent.

Our Apartment for a Day
Heart 0 Comment 0

We slept well and were up and on the road by 5:49 am! A record for us. It felt good to ride with the sun rising.

We had a good 8 miles of gradual climbing on a fairly decent shoulder...given the past few days. At mile eight we went down two miles to the tiny town of Lamont. Seemed to be only two buildings there. One of which is a cyclists camp. Immediately the shoulder turned into this!!!

This terrible shoulder lasts about 12 miles. How would you like to ride on this?!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Two days ago I was bemoaning my "fat" tires...1.75 inches wide to be exact...saying they were the reason I was soooooo slow on the climbs (not the heat or my talent mind you) but today I was "Thank Heavens" for my fat tires. I can ride on this mess. The best place was to the far right. It sometimes dropped off...pay attention, Janet.

The good news is after the 12 or so miles we came to a stretch of 12-15 miles with a new surface and shoulder. Was wonderful.....however, it was as we started to climb. We had two more crossings of the Continental Divide today. No photo doesn't impress me anymore....actually passed the signs before I realized it and to much traffic to go back. This is a heavily traveled road. Only North/South route into Rawlins I think.

Heading UP! the steep climb only lasted a couple of miles. Then there was another nine miles of gradual climb before the peak.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Wind can be an issue in this part of the state!! It was blowing 10-15 mph head wind early in the day. Then it switched to a stronger side wind 15+ mph and then we were blessed with a tailwind the last ten miles or so. It made the ride fun.....it was already 85 degrees at ten in the morning and rising. We were so happy when we pulled into the Days Inn on the 287 Bypass at 11:30 am! Objective obtained.....beat the heat, wind and the hills!

BTW...Days Inn here gives a $20 discount to cyclists. Plus they have all we need tubs (more soaking), laundry and pretty good WiFi. Life is good. Check the previous days post for photos that have been added. I only took three today. Also, it is in the mid 90's now. Would not be fun out there about now. Jack is reading the map for tomorrow ...we change section maps and just said we get to ride I80. That should make for a fun report.....

This is a Wyoming Pit Stop...note the wet road in the center. TMI? To Much Information...if you have a shy bladder you will never survive on a trip like this!
Heart 1 Comment 0
We ran with the antelope again today. Once we scared a small heard and they took off. Thought they would jump the fence but no they went under.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 1,484 miles (2,388 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0