Day 38 - Jeffrey City to Muddy Gap: One pancake with - Off To See the Wizard - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2014

Day 38 - Jeffrey City to Muddy Gap: One pancake with

A Side of Deet!

When we stopped yesterday we knew that today was going to be very much the same ride as we had just slogged through. The temps were to be in the high 90's and there were more hills and 68 miles to Rawlins. We didn't think we had it in us so we searched our map for a plan 'B'. We came up with one. Ride 23 miles early to Muddy Gap and take the rest of the day off during the heat to rest up a bit. It all hinged on finding a room in Muddy Gap.

We were up, packed and ready for breakfast before 7am. The cafe opened at 6am but we didn't quite make that (should have). The other cyclists that braved the bugs were gone. They had planned to be on the road by five to avoid some of the heat...guess they made it. Wise!!

We have heard tales about the pancakes at the Split Rock Cafe and had to try one. One....is the operative. Vicki who makes them says there have only been two cyclists that have attempted to eat two and made it...it is huge! She says that one day she just got tired of trying to make lots of pancakes for us cyclists and worked on making one really big...really dense one. She has done it! It is amazingly crisp on the edges and cooked all the way through just perfect. And no...we, the two of us, couldn't finish one. BTW..the guy that ate two....took him an hour and a half to finish. She gives you a Baggie to take the left overs in. We will have it tomorrow re-heated.

On the way out the door we spotted a can of bug spray and asked if we could have a shot....no problem.

The ride was flat the first five miles or so then the rolling hills started and lasted the entire 23 miles. We rolled into Muddy Gap at 10:30am. It's basically an intersection with a filling station, small store and a very large mobile home that has two apartments as the motel. We were reluctant at first but after seeing the room we decided to stick with our plan. It was already 87 and we were tired and sore.....it would not have been a pretty sight to continue on for 42 miles. Good decision ...as it seems I couldn't stay awake once we sat down in here. I slept off an on for a couple of hours. Finished a book and now I am checking in with all of you. The WiFi isn't working here in our room so I will need to go to the store to complete this task. Most likely there will be no photos until Rawlins.

This was the 23 mile climb the day before...Lander to Jeffrey City. We started way down in the right where it goes in between the hills.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the Lander to Jeffrey City was pretty....beautiful red rocks against the various greens.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have been on this trail for days....need to study up on this Chief too. In fact this trip is inspiring both of us to read a lot more about the west the settlers and the native people.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sun was shining on this one ridge with storm all around...beautiful. We saw this formation twenty miles out. Was good to finally pass it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This was so funny....the horses were in the front yard and actually bumping their noses on the front door. The one then went to the window while the others came to watch us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pinto colts....I counted three! How about you?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the reservation
Heart 0 Comment 0
Split Rock Cafe. Where all the locals wear "side arms". I decided against taking a photo while they were there.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Pancake!
Heart 0 Comment 0
I can do this?!
Heart 0 Comment 0
After
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 23 miles (37 km)
Total: 1,438 miles (2,314 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0