Day 37 - Lander to Jeffery City (population 38 or 50): No Where To Hide..Jack says we need to take a collection and buy Wyoming a Tree!! - Off To See the Wizard - CycleBlaze

July 5, 2014

Day 37 - Lander to Jeffery City (population 38 or 50): No Where To Hide..Jack says we need to take a collection and buy Wyoming a Tree!!

We didn't anticipate today being so difficult but it was. Leaving Lander you have about 8 miles of pretty steep rolling hills. Then the fun begins.......a 23 mi climb to the top of the bluffs. We saw them in the distance and thought glad we don't go over them. Wrong.

But wait, let me tell you about the lander Fireworks! They are not put on by the city. They are all individual homes, neighborhood and RV parks. We were at the Sleeping Bear RV Park (which is great...highly recomend it) and it is at the top of the last hill in town. This is important because you can walk to the front of the park overlooking the city and see all the fireworks. We live in Seaside, CA and the locals have always put on a good show. This topped that by 100%. First I don't think anything is illegal. People were shooting off things we only see in professional shows in California. So now we know why the whole town was booked. People come from all over to watch and participate. If you want a good nights sleep don't be in Lander, WY on the 4th of July.....but if you love fireworks it's the place to be!

The first " No Where to Hide" was just as we were leaving the Lander city limits. I had my first dog chase. He was in his yard and came running right towards us...heading towards me. He never barked just took off after us. I thought he would stop at the fence but no....he went under and headed up the hill right for me. I'm climbing so not going my fastest and the heart is beating fast. Jack pulls out his tire pump and gets ready to strike when the owner yells at the dog from her porch. He hears her and turns around!!

The second "No Where to Hide" was the next 30 miles of the ride. The sun was out and it was 95+ degrees! The first place on our map to get water and drinks was gone...not there. We thought we would be to the rest stop at about 30'ish miles but no it wasn't until 39 miles. We ran out of water at about mile 34!! Not good. There was no place to get water or find shade we didn't see a tree all day! Jack finally held out his water bottle as a RV went by and pointed to it and they stopped! Yes, road angles. They gave us water and Gatorade. Thank you!!

We finally reached the rest stop and it is mosquito city! They are back. The third "No Where to Hide" was trying to ride fast enough to not be bitten in the a$$ again! I have so many bites! And we nearly ran out of water again. It is so high and dry here and hot...you just can't get water in fast enough.

We are at the Split Rock Cafe having burgers and fries and WiFi. Isabel Hiatt the owner caters to cyclists. In fact there are two couples and our buddy "Roseberg" from Drifwaters....he confirmed what a hot and difficult climb it was! Not just us old folks. They are setting up tents at the side of the cafe...free! We are staying up the street at the Green Mountain Motel, Newley reopened and no bugs and air conditioning. Seems this town was quite big 7-8,000 from the mid sixties until the mid 80's when the uranium market collapsed.

We made it here, which was up in the air a few times today. It was one of our most difficult days. Jack says it was!! I will work on the few photos I took today later and post in the morning. We are done!

Good Night....

Today's ride: 63 miles (101 km)
Total: 1,415 miles (2,277 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0