Day 33 - Grant Village to Colter Bay Village-Grand Teton National Park: Frosty The Snow Man - Off To See the Wizard - CycleBlaze

July 1, 2014

Day 33 - Grant Village to Colter Bay Village-Grand Teton National Park: Frosty The Snow Man

It seems the snowman we came upon yesterday proved to be an omen. When we woke up this morning there was frost everywhere. The Surly's were not happy as we had left them uncovered for only the second time in their lives. I am sure we will have some "splanin" to do!

With all that frost it took us a little longer than normal to warm up and get out. Then we stopped at the store, post office and restrooms and by now it is nearly 10am when we turned onto South Entrance Road to head out. We were greatful for the mile or so it took us to get to the road as we knew we were headed up. When we turned in yesterday we were thankful we didn't have to do the hill we saw before us....now was the time.

The climb wasn't to bad and we had a little shoulder however once the hill crested we lost all shoulder until we left Yellowstone about 22 miles. The next 22 miles were fun! Downhill to rolling hills take you all the way out the park. It felt so good to just ride and not just climb.

I need to say now that we both were a little disappointed in Yellowstone. There were (for us) no WoW moments. Our ride in and out and most all the way was like being in any other forest. The part in the middle where we saw the geysers was very interesting but not a WoW. I would say for me Yosemite wins on the WoW scale. I realize it is a huge park and we only saw a small section of it...I'm just saying how it felt.

Once you exit at south entrance you are very quickly in Grand Teton National Park. We continued on our fun ride for a short while then we hit the one big hill we expected today. It is at about mile 23 and you will grind up for about two miles. Then it's back to rolling but they were steeper than the previous and lost a little of their charm. We rolled into Colter Bay Village around three and soon had camp setup. We first had to finish drying tent and ground cloth as they were packed wet.

After setup Jack went back to the gate to see if there was Wifi at the Village. Yes, showers and laundry. Since it had been two days since power/wifi and several days since laundry we packed up and took a ride up to find civilization. This park isn't as crowded as Yellowstone so it wasn't to crazy. We were able to find a table with power outlets and settled in. I was to hasty and messed up the login in process so it looked like I had WiFi but I couldn't access anything....frustrating but lesson learned. Go Slower!! I was at least able to check in with Jack's Kindle so you all would know we are doing ok.

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 1,204 miles (1,938 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0