Day 32 - Madison Campground to Grant Village, Yellowstone: Whale Watching on Land - Off To See the Wizard - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2014

Day 32 - Madison Campground to Grant Village, Yellowstone: Whale Watching on Land

So, how is it these young folks get out of camp so quick?! Once again we were the last to leave and it was early. I notice they do not cook breakfast (we older folks must have our oatmeal) they are just better at jumping and going. I think as we get older we are more comfortable with taking our time.

Once we were packed and on the road we turned the corner and headed towards Old Faithful and of course there was an instant hill. I think I have mentioned before that there always seems to be a hill leaving camp. There were a few more on and off the entire 16 miles. We were expecting Old Faithful but we were not expecting all the other Geysers they are everywhere. It was like whale watching...all the spouts. We really enjoyed it. When we got to Upper and Lower Geyser we joined the other tourists and walked to see what we could see.

Back on our bikes and heading towards Old Faithful we enjoyed more up and down. Passing some beautiful creeks and small rivers. We noticed that the geysers drain into the streams.......that must be why the fisherman I ask along the way how the water was (he was in shorts no waders) and he said it was fine. When we arrived at the off ramp for Old Faithful they take you way up and around on a ramp with NO shoulder we decided to just bag it and not go as it looked so far away......if you just stay straight and head to West Thumb you will come to a cross walk that takes you right into that area. Much safer.....however we decided not to go because of crowds and the fact that we had Two...2 passes each over 8,000 ft. A new high and we wanted to make sure we had them done before nightfall!

As it turns out it was good we followed our instincts. Both of the passes....Craig Pass 8,261 ft and the second no name 8,391 ft were a challenge. Both crossed the Continental Divide? They were not so terribly steep but the altitude was noticeable. Jack had a harder time than I did today. He was feeling like I did a few days ago...just a little altitude sick. (Uncle Jim...I sill haven't fainted..LOL you know!) we have a pass in two days that will be the second highest on our trip. It will be 9,658 ft. Togwotee Pass in the Tetons. The high will be in Colorado. But that's at least a week or so away.

When we finally made it to Grant Village we stopped at the store. I was so hungry (never shop then right) I bought us ice cream... Dryers good but not Tom & Jerry's and Fritos .....salt and sweet that's the name of the game.

Good night all....should sleep well tonight.

Today's ride: 39 miles (63 km)
Total: 1,159 miles (1,865 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0