Day 31 - Driftwaters Resort to Madison Campground, WY: The Sun Is Out and So Are We! - Off To See the Wizard - CycleBlaze

June 29, 2014

Day 31 - Driftwaters Resort to Madison Campground, WY: The Sun Is Out and So Are We!

It was 39 degrees when we rolled out at 7:30'ish today...and I didn't care. It was clear, there was no head wind and we were on our way to Yellowstone! In planning for this trip, this is the one place I was really excited about riding through. This and the Tetons.

The ride was great......flat to rolling hills with a few rollers thrown in for fun. It was 34 miles to West Yellowstone and we made that before noon. Along the way we had a race with a Big Horn Sheep and he nearly won. He was right on the inside of the guard rail going up an incline. We kind of chased him down so I could get his picture and then we decided maybe we shouldn't piss him off. He was giving me the eye.

On up the road we came to Earthquake Lake. There was an earthquake in 1959 that took out an entire hillside and damed a river and created a lake. Then we went over the most level pass in the West. Surveyed by ............... ? It still counts as a pass and brings us to number 12. But who's counting?! We followed that lake for a few miles and then we came upon a beautiful high country lake....Lake Hebgen in the Madison Valley. Beautiful.

Arriving in West Yellowstone was interesting. We have been on the road one month today and as you know most of the places we have been are small rural communities. This isn't so big but it is busy.....there are people everywhere. We started looking at license plates and they are from all over the USA and Canada. We went directly to the Visitors Center to find out about Hiker/Biker camps in the park. We have been hearing conflicting information on the road from other riders. Some saying it is available and others saying no, it is not. We found out that YES all of the campgrounds that are not private and are contracted out by the government "must make room for Hiker/Bikers we can't be turned away (where would we go by bike/foot with an auto you can go to the next town). With that info and it only being noon we decided to go to the first camp in the park. This will make our day shorter tomorrow.

The ride to Madison Campground was great. A nice tailwind and the route was slightly rolling. What a joy. There was a really nice shoulder all the way to here. We turn the corner tomorrow on Grand Loop Road and head towards Old Faithful and ride down to Grant Village. I think this section may not have good shoulders. It is true there are tons of people here but so far it isn't overwhelming. On the ride into the park (crossed the WY state line just after entering the park) we saw lots of Buffalo Pies (think cow pies) but no buffalo. Jack even thought he saw a bear in the woods but I told him he just wants to see a bear....just wait until it is in camp!! When we checked in they told us there was a bear in camp last night. We have complied and locked all our "smelly items" in the bear boxes. Here they make you lock water and cooking pots and pans too and you can't brush your teeth or wash dishes in camp. Must be done in the restroom and provided wash room for dishes etc. they take extra precautions because of the grizzlies!

About half a mile before the camp two riders that were also at Driftwaters last night passed us and they were on their way here. Also here and already set up was the other young man from Oregon that spent the day with us. We are seeing more and more touring cyclists daily...in both directions. I would say at least 5-7 a day.

We enjoyed a nice afternoon around camp had dinner and then noticed I had a flat on my rear tire. Darn wire!! At least I made it to camp and we discovered it before taking off in the morning!

It's been a pretty nice day.....

Leaving Driftwaters Even The Birds Were Out To Send Us Off!
Heart 1 Comment 0
It Was A Beautiful Day To Ride. Jack says for perspective you are looking at a FULL size ranch and several out buildings in the center.....Big Country!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We Tried To Out Run This Guy! I love the bit of pine stuck on his horn....he was really shaggy (molting) and thin. Long winter?
Heart 1 Comment 0
We pissed him off..he's given me the stink eye!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We Traveled Past Earthquake Lake
Heart 0 Comment 0
Read All About It
Heart 0 Comment 0
Welcome To West Yellowstone?!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bear Proof Trash Cans
Heart 0 Comment 0
Camp Tonight
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 1,120 miles (1,802 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0