Day 27 - Twin Bridges to Alder: Toe The Line Part II - Moving On UP! and we hit 1,000 miles!!! - Off To See the Wizard - CycleBlaze

June 25, 2014

Day 27 - Twin Bridges to Alder: Toe The Line Part II - Moving On UP! and we hit 1,000 miles!!!

When it rains.......bet you thought I was going to say "it pours". No, the wind blows about 30-40 mph and it rains a little off and on all night. It was quite a storm but let me tell you about yesterday afternoon first.

We left The Shack around 2pm and wandered off in different directions. Jack wanted to check out the store and I wanted to photo-op a little.

Twin Bridges - population 421 has a bicycle lane! Because all of these small towns we go through are on the TransAm most all have bike lanes!
Heart 0 Comment 0
I went to check out this old steam tractor....well that is my guess. It didn't have any info on it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then I went to the local museum...very nice. I also learned that yes indeed all those structures in the fields were to load/store hay. They were used from the early 1900's to about 1957 when new balers came around.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fishing adventures have been about the only economy up here in these small towns. There are still ranches but most of these towns depend on fishing tourism. Jack saw a guy get out of his BMW with all new LL Bean gear/clothing but he still had on his loafers without socks! "not from around here are ya boy"!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another nice mural
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back to the Park...the jail was built in 1910
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back at the park things were picking up. We were there along with a guy we met on the road back in Hamilton. He is from Missoula and is doing a nine day tour of his local area. Then a bit later Roy came in. He is from Norway. He did the Pacific Coast last year and he has toured all over Europe with his Dad. This was his first tour alone and it was nice for him to find fellow travelers to visit with. The camp sight is equipped with a bike stand so Jack took advantage and gave the bikes their first cleaning of the trip.

Jack giving the Surly's some special time.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We all watched the storm build and then BAM it hit. Thunder, lighting, WIND and rain. Roy's tent was so small it nearly blew into the river. He was able to gather everything and get it into the common space building. Jack stayed in our tent so it wouldn't blow away as did the other guy. It was that windy. I stayed in the common space with Roy and visited. The wind and main part of the storm lasted about a hour and half then it blew over until later in the evening and came back.

Watching the storm build.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More Storm Building- the grounds keeper told us not to worry. It was all going to blow south. We wouldn't get anything. So much for local knowledge.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After the storm blew over Churchill Clark returned to camp. He is the Great, Great, Great( maybe another great or two) grandson or nephew I can't remember which of Lt. William Clark of Lewis & Clark. Churchill is a very interesting guy and if you think we are crazy wait until you hear what he is going to do. He has in the past paddled in a canoe the entire length of the Lewis & Clark. Now he is leaving (today if all went well) for St. Louis on the Mighty Missouri River. He hand carved the canoe from a cottonwood tree and relaunched it yesterday after the storm. It is going to be a amazing trip. The canoe weighs 250 lbs down from 550 lbs when he paddled it across Nebraska last year. We wish him a safe journey.

Churchill Clark
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pushing Off
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Smile On His Face Says It All!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Well....that was quite a day. Not much resting but the legs did get to rest. So, now back to today and our ride.

Leaving Twin Bridges there is a great shoulder for eight miles....all the way to Sheridan. Along with the wide shoulder you have a gentle incline all the way about 200 ft. Sheridan has a really nice store that is part groceries and part ACE Hardware a fun little stop. Jack was looking for more of his cream. (No luck)

Once you leave Sheridan you lose the shoulder!! Not only that- it was just resurfaced with a layer of fresh 'chip seal' not a bikers favorite. It was back to "toeing the line". This was tricky as there was some room to the right but it was mostly sand or loose gravel....neither of which are good to get in. I about went down once. 

 The next 14 miles, aside from the no shoulder, were a nice easy ride. We made it to the Ruby Valley RV Park by 11:30 am. On the ACA maps this is listed as a KOA camp...it changed owners on June 1st. It is a beautiful site and guess what?! We are waiting for this afternoon's storm. I can hear it thundering behind me. Hope it passes by us and I am glad we didn't go on up the hill as it is in that direction. Seems to be another new "norm". You need to be where you are going by 4pm or you will find yourself in a storm. I remember this from my summer I lived in Colorado Springs....Carol, it would be very familiar to you.

Happy Trails! Leaving Twin Bridges.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thought these were the dreaded Goat Heads.....beautiful when not a thorn! Don't think they were but sure they turn to some sort of sticker.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look at those eyes..beautiful antelope. He watched us for so long we thought he was stuffed. Finally he moved....not stuffed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Camp View - old gold mining remains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Today's Camp
Heart 1 Comment 0
Camp Guest
Heart 1 Comment 0
My Office Today....waiting out the storm. We are enjoying our mayfly Alite chairs. The wind is off the hook again with a few drops of rain.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It is now 7pm and it is pouring. ;( we were eating dinner and it started. The only thing to do was to sit on the porch of one of the empty cabins and finish dinner. Now I am sitting in the ladies room charging my iPad and finishing this post.

Bet you thought this trip was all beautiful views of mountains, flowers and interesting people.!!

NOT!!

Heart 1 Comment 0

We have the camping neighbors from hell next to us tonight. There must be at least 15 if them. Yelling, screaming, TV/radio blaring!! Time for my iPod....hope I can sleep tonight. It's to wet to move and they have taken over the entire park there is no escape.

Today's ride: 23 miles (37 km)
Total: 1,008 miles (1,622 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0