Day 24 - Lost Trail Hot Springs to Jackson: I'm going to Jackson.....Johnny Cash in my head all day or How to Out Run Mosquitoes and Thunder Storms! - Off To See the Wizard - CycleBlaze

June 22, 2014

Day 24 - Lost Trail Hot Springs to Jackson: I'm going to Jackson.....Johnny Cash in my head all day or How to Out Run Mosquitoes and Thunder Storms!

We made it to Jackson....that was never a given today! What a ride. We had to walk up the hill and gravel road to get out of the hot springs resort...then make a right turn and start an immediate 5-6% grade for 6mi we were told. Now, just when you are getting in shape and can handle the long grinds over a pass (this was number 8 & 9) they go and throw in a new elevation. We didn't summit for three hrs and it was 7,224 ft! We crossed the continental divide for the first time.

We made it over the pass and were headed down when we started to notice dark clouds gathering all around us. On both sides, way out front and the worst coming behind us. We heard, from a guy on a motorcycle in Wisdom, that at the pass we just went over he had hail, rain, snow, sleet and ice. He couldn't see and was going only 10mph. We just put our heads down and tried to get to Wisdom before we were dumped on. 

Now, we have been warned not to even go to Wisdom because of the mosquitos!! But you gotta do what you gotta do...right! In the mean time we see a group of touring cyclists stopped and chatting. We pull over and meet a group of three doing the TransAm East to West...can't recall their names. Also, there is Patricia who we passed on the uphill but she got us on the down. We chat awhile and head out....just about a half a mile down the road I see a dark shadow on my left and think a bicycle is passing me. NOT-I look up and not 15 ft in front of me this moose is crossing the road right in front me. I try to get his photo but not sure how it came out (haven't looked at my photos in two days. I am behind. Sorry). What a rush!! He was huge and I think he was just young or maybe cow......can't imagine how big a grown male is.

That got me going and we are still looking at the black thundering cloud behind us as we head to Wisdom as fast as we can. Now these pesky mosquitoes are starting to swarm.....you can't even stop to take a photo or you will be covered in just a couple of minutes. There is water everywhere, standing in the fields, creeks etc. guess that is the cause. We make it to Wisdom without getting wet which is amazing as it is raining all around us. I can't wait to look at the photos from today as they will be dramatic. So, anyway the huge black cloud is about to explode and the wind has come up and the temp dropped several degrees. We see there is a motel in Wisdom so we think we might just call it a day. There isn't any one at the motel....we go to a restaurant and decide to eat and then check the motel again. Now this is a town of 138 so there are not a lot of options. We eat a full meal including pie thinking we are done......we check the motel again and nope no one home. We are with Patricia and we all decide to go the additional 18 miles to Jackson and hope it warms up and that we do not get soaked.

We out ran the rain again but not the mosquitoes. I was being bit while I was riding. You had to go at least 9mph to out run them and on hills they would bite you through clothing! and it does clear off and warm up. We make it to Jackson Hot Springs by 5:15 pm. We have the tent up and are in the Hot Springs pool which is 104 degrees by 6:30. That felt so good. We just had the best smoked trout with kapers, red onions and cream cheese. Wow...it was good. I am about to head to the tent and sleep!!

I promise to work on photos soon......good night.

And yes.....here we are again! Another cowboy bar! It is the main lounge and dining area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Lost Trail...hiking!
Heart 1 Comment 0
We found Patricia near the top of the pass!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This Was the Second Pass of the Morning...there was no sign at the first but it was 7,000 ft! We had to climb another mile to get the 241 ft
Heart 1 Comment 0
The "kids" from the east coast...they are heading into the eye of the storm...it hasn't started building yet. Hope they were ok!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flowers of the Day
Heart 0 Comment 0
Storms are building and we are getting passed by two other riders? What is up with that Jack is thinking.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Just then ...the moose. All I got was the hind end. A moose caboose!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then the race to Wisdom begins. This was behind us....up where the kids were heading!
Heart 1 Comment 0
This was on the left...
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was on the right...
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was in the front...
Heart 0 Comment 0
We made it to Wisdom!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just in Time!!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 907 miles (1,460 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0