Day 18 - Grangeville to Lowell: Let's High Tail It Out Of Here - Off To See the Wizard - CycleBlaze

June 15, 2014

Day 18 - Grangeville to Lowell: Let's High Tail It Out Of Here

Yesterday... two white tail deer went bounding across the field beside us and a light went off for Jack. He realized where that saying originated. Now we haven't googled it yet but it makes perfect sense when you see them with their tails up bouncing along. Just as we were leaving Grangeville we had another encounter and so we decided we "We're High Tailing It Out of Here"!

Today's ride started off in a light cloud cover with a little bit of fog off in the distance. It was so beautiful as we wound our way through this little valley on Hwy 13. We traveled about five miles of rolling hills until we came to a long five mile (at least) steep downhill to Clearwater River. We had heard that this was a "screeching downhill" and it was. It was early and cold so we had to stop a few times to shake out the hands and keep from going to fast. Once we reached the bottom we followed the Clearwater River the rest of the day. The next forty miles were nearly flat the entire way and the views were just beautiful.......just what you picture a postcard of Idaho to look like. I swear I saw Earnest Hemingway standing by the side of the road fishing along the way.

We pulled into Three Rivers Resort and RV/Camp just ten minutes ahead of a really good rain. We got the tent set up and took a nice nap after a hot shower. Now we are in the bar having a good burger and fries. I said before I left that I was going to eat burgers all across the country and it is proving to be true. We have had some good ones. 

This bar is a real River resort bar. Crowd of locals, bikes like us (two pulled in next to us) bikers like my brother with big BMW Motorcycles....three of them came in to set up their tents. Cliff you would love riding here! There is a large group of college age kids that are here also...they went River rafting today. Think camp might be a little loud tonight. I have my iPod and Jack has his noise canceling ear phones, which I had to talk him into getting, he has used them daily as he is a very light sleeper and has a low tolerance for noise.

Tomorrow we head towards Powell. We hear it is 67 miles of no services. There is one USFS camp in case we need to make it a two day trip...we are going to try for the one day version but it is heading up. We hope to be in touch tomorrow but not to worry if we are not.

Going to try photos but it might be to slow here for that. Good night....

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 658 miles (1,059 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0