Day 15 - New Meadows to Riggins: The Salmon Are Running! - Off To See the Wizard - CycleBlaze

June 12, 2014

Day 15 - New Meadows to Riggins: The Salmon Are Running!

It's a good day on this adventure when you call a 35 mi day a rest day!! First - we were not even on the road until after 10am (unheard of). Second - we had about 12 miles of flat which we were clipping along at around 12-14 mph (which is pretty much flying for us). Third - the last 23 miles were downhill with a tailwind....we were moving at about 23-24 mph most of those miles. 

What a joy and it was all along the Little Salmon River. The River is running real fast right now and it is filled with more salmon than folks have seen in years. The road was lined with trucks, RV's and tents. At one point it looked like a tent city but no just fishermen/women. I saw some really nice catches along the way.

Leaving New Meadows
Heart 0 Comment 0

We thought for a very short minute about going on to White Bird which is another 29.5 miles away. But the minute we hit a headwind we knew that it would be better to let the legs rest. We planned on camping here if we could but with all the fishermen in town there were few options and we found a room at the Riggins Motel. It's a great little spot. When we rolled in to check on rooms whose bicycle should we see? Richard's, The Lemonade Tour. He has been here for a day and a half. Seems he didn't get the tailwind we did coming into town and fought fierce headwinds..so he took a day of rest.

We both plan to leave here in the morning and do the White Bird pass which will be about 1500 ft climb....but that's nothing..right?! We would like to get to Grangeville which will give us 50+ mi. There is a storm coming. The first rain we have seen on the trip. We have had sunny days all the way so far. So think no rain or wind for us for tomorrow.

We have slow internet again - photos to follow when I can. Tonight maybe a fresh salmon dinner.

Niners Fans In Idaho! Sign also said ranch established in 1879
Heart 0 Comment 0
Little Salmon River
Heart 1 Comment 0
He has one...they are allowed only two!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We went to dinner at the Seven Devils Salon last night and it was very good. Looking through their wine list I see they have Estancia Pinot Noir a Monterey wine and at only $6 a glass. I talked to the bar tender and told her that was cheaper than I could get at home in Monterey.....she thought that was pretty funny (and poured me a little more)! BTW no fresh salmon. It is only sport fishing no selling. There are state fish and game folks everywhere....seem to be very strict with the rules.

Out and about at Riggins Motel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Down by the Salmon River
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 557 miles (896 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0