Vineyard Canyon - Winterlude 2022 - CycleBlaze

December 19, 2022

Vineyard Canyon

It’s 29F/-2C again this morning when we first check on the weather.  It’s warmer over at the coast if we wanted to hop in the car again, but we don’t.  We loaf around the house until it finally climbs up to 50 before starting out.  It’s nearly 12:30 when we coast down toward the river, which doesn’t leave us that much time for a ride.  Now that we’re out and in the sun we find it’s not bad at all, and we realize we should have gotten out sooner.  I think of Tough Guy Greg biking in the snow up in Hastings or Noah Stryker freezing his ass off and suffering from altitude sickness at 16,000 feet elevation in Peru on the hunt for a Black Spectacled Brushfinch, and feel like a wimp.  We’ll do better tomorrow.

We’re less than a half mile into the ride when Rachael pulls us over so she can check out her Varia tail light, which isn’t registering on her Garmin for some reason.  It takes her a minute to discover the issue - she’s got my Varia, not hers, so it’s not paired with her device.  We’ve only got one between us on the ride today because we couldn’t find the one we assumed was mine last night when she went to charge them.  I didn’t want to put my shoes on go back out in the cold to get it last night, so I planned to just ride without it today.

She hands over my Varia so at least I can use it, but for the first miles north on River Road she feels naked and exposed as the occasional car overtakes her from behind.  She won’t start feeling secure until we get about halfway to San Miguel and leave most of the traffic behind, and she’s anxious about biking down this road again on the way home.

On River Road, following the Salinas north out of town.
Heart 3 Comment 0

River Road’s fine up this way really, especially once we’re about four miles from town.  It’s a pretty ride as it follows the Salinas River the whole way, but the quality of the ride makes a quantum jump when we get ten miles out and branch off to the east onto Vineyard Canyon Road and follow an unnamed creek up into the hills.  Suddenly there’s no traffic at all and no hazards to be alert for other than the occasional small pothole or stray tumbleweed.

Ten miles into the ride we branch off at Vineyard Canyon Road and leave the traffic behind.
Heart 9 Comment 2
Bruce LellmanSuch beautiful landscapes! Just look at that oak out standing in its field.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanThey’re wonderful, alright. The oaks down here make me think of you.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
We’ve got the road to ourselves now but you still need to pay attention.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Bruce LellmanYes, because earthquakes could split the road open at any moment.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanYes, that too. The San Andreas fault runs just a few miles east of here; and we got out of Eureka just in time - most of Humboldt County went dark this morning from a significant earthquake. We’ve got quite a history now of leaving disasters in our wake.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

It’s really a beautiful ride the rest of the way out.  We’ve ridden Vineyard Canyon Road once before so there’s nothing new here today and no shrikes on the lines to slow me down.  We’re short on time as it is, so we mostly ride.  Rachael’s gotten ahead of me in spite of this, and I’m mildly disappointed when I see her coming back at me because I’m enjoying the road so much and not ready to turn back yet even though she’s right and we need to be homeward bound before it gets too late in the day.  If we’re out this way again I think I’d drive to the start of Vineyard Canyon and start biking from there, maybe going all the way to Parkfield before turning back.

Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 9 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
I took a photo of this barn the last time we were out this road. I’ll start keeping a time-lapse gallery and watch the paint peel.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Bruce LellmanI like long-term photographic projects.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Weird sky feature. Is there a name for this phenomenon?
Heart 6 Comment 7
Bill ShaneyfeltSun dog

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltSun dog! I’ve never heard that term.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnAw, you peeked. No credit.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gregory GarceauIf it truly is a sundog, it looks nothing like the sundogs we get in cold, snowy Minnesota.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bruce LellmanTo Gregory GarceauThey are more subdued in color? Lighter? I can't remember, now that I've been gone from Minnesota for so many years.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gregory GarceauTo Bruce LellmanI've never seen one in the clouds before, only on bright, cold, clear days. Also, I've never seen one so colorful. Actually, the sundogs I've seen look exactly like the one in the Wikipedia article that Bill referenced.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We only stop once on the way back - for lunch, soon after we’ve met up again.  There’s no obvious spot so we just find a wide spot on the shoulder, pull out our coats and sit on them on the grass.  It’s a surprisingly good spot - the ground is spongy when I sit down, and worries me at first because I think it must be damp to feel so soft.  

Rachael gives out a squeal of delight when she opens her pannier to pull out her turkey sandwich and finds her Varia beneath it.  Mystery solved; and there’s some still enough charge on it to see her through for the ride home.  The modest traffic on River Road doesn’t bother her nearly as much now, which is a good thing because we’ll likely be out on it again tomorrow.  

Heading home.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Video sound track: Drift Into a Dream, by Fin Moon

Heart 1 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 35 miles, 1,500’; for the tour: 143 Miles, 6,900’

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 143 miles (230 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Gregory GarceauThanks a lot for mentioning me along with a guy who was freezing at high altitude in the Andes. Now, compared to him, I look like the wimp.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago