Valley of Fire - Winterlude 2022 - CycleBlaze

February 3, 2023

Valley of Fire

As soon as we started thinking about stopping in Boulder City on our drive north, we knew that another visit to Valley of Fire State Park was a mandatory part of the visit.  On our first visit two years ago in the First Winter of Covid, we were stunned by what an extraordinary place it is as we stopped over and over again to gape in amazement at its exceptionally hued and contoured sandstone formations.

The park is a full hour and a half drive from Boulder City, which adds up to quite a long day.  Our original plan for this visit was to stay overnight at the motel in Overton, only about fifteen miles from the park, to shorten the day and to see the formations at their radiant best at sundown; and in fact we booked a stay there for our fourth night in the region.  We dropped that idea though when we also dropped our plan to visit Death Valley as our next stop and replaced it with more distant San Luis Obispo.  The extra hour and a half a stay in Overton would have added to the next day’s drive was more than we wanted to tackle.

Still, that would be the right plan for the visit if you’re not camping and can just stay near the park.  We were reminded of this as we began the drive back to Boulder City not long before sundown and we’re awed to watch the colors intensify before our eyes.

In our opinion the narrow, twisted paved road through the park is no place for a bicycle; and in any case this is an experience best visited on foot when you can slither through narrow slot canyons and stop anywhere to stare at formations and peer at intriguing desert plants.  There are four or five trails spaced along the road, all short, and we took three of them.  Each was amazing, each felt more so than the one before.

If you want to know more about the park than you can glean from the photos, read up on it or check out our previous visit which gave a little more background; or of course go and see for yourself.  Photos are grouped by the trail we hiked, without captions.  It’s admittedly a lot of photos, but it’s barely a tenth of the ones we came home with.

On the Rainbow Vista Trail

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like buckhorn cholla.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/49354/browse_photos
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 5 Comment 2
Keith AdamsGlad to see you remembered your hat this time.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsYes, I’m quite a quick study in my old age.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 4 Comment 5
Keith Adams"One giant leap for Rachael-kind"
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonVery clever! It’s actually easier than it looks.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ron SuchanekDo a backflip!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Ron SuchanekYou have the best ideas, Ron! Why didn’t I think to suggest that?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ron SuchanekTo Scott AndersonI have a lot of ideas like that. For some reason, Jen doesn't feel that many of them are good ideas.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 3 Comment 4
Andrea BrownWhat the..? That is amazing.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownI’d like to know myself. It’s a tiny blossom, maybe a half inch across.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Scott AndersonGoogle Lens suggest perhaps it's Eriogonum kennedyi?

https://www.americansouthwest.net/plants/wildflowers/eriogonum-kennedyi.html
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill ShaneyfeltAgreed with Eriogonum but its distribution is quite a bit farther west. My thought is maybe flatcrown buckwheat.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/76981/browse_photos

There are some others in the area. Basal leaves would help with ID.

https://wildflowersearch.org/search?oldstate=petals%3Asix%3Bgmc%3A36.476%2C-114.528%3Bcat%3AW%3Bcolor%3Apink%3Blocation%3AMouse%27s+Tank+Rd%2C+Overton%2C+NV+89040%2C+USA%3Belev%3A1912%3Bgms%3A13%3B&buttonName=none&hab=&Elev=&Submit=Submit+Values&PlantName=Eriogonum
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 6
Keith AdamsThen again, GL also thinks this is some form of coral. I'm assuming that this is actually some form of plant life? If it's coral it's in an amazing state of preservation, and markedly out of place in those surroundings.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsNo, it’s a prickly pear. I should have included the whole plant.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Scott AndersonNah, it's an interesting photo as it is. Plus you get the bonus prize of having successfully stumped Google.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill ShaneyfeltVery thirsty beavertail prickly pear. Don't let those soft, fuzzy bumps fool you! They are clumps of tiny barbed spears!

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/57872/browse_photos
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill Shaneyfelthttps://www.sciencephoto.com/media/30479/view/cactus-spines
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsThat’s what I thought too. It gave a bit of mystery to it. We’ll see a complete example in tomorrow’s post.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 3 Comment 0

On the White Domes Loop

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith AdamsDefinitely not a place for a bicycle!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

On the Seven Wonders Loop

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 9
Andrea BrownJust one amazing scene after another. Bruce would go nuts here. Great photos on a great hike.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Andrea BrownThanks. I’ve done a lot of hikes but the hikes today are the best I’ve done in a longtime.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierGreat pictures of a place I never knew existed. Thanks!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Rich FrasierIt took us a long time to discover it also. It’s surprising that it isn’t better known, but it’s pretty remote and state parks often fly under the radar.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezHave you been to Antelope Canyon, near the Grand Canyon? I have not, but the photos look very similar to these. Stunning!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Kelly IniguezNo, but I’m familiar with it. I’d love to see it some year.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bruce LellmanWow, what a place and what great photos! I’d love to hike there some day.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanYou should definitely go. Is way easier to get to from Portland than Chiang Mai.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Larry MitchellTruly an amazing place to hike and ride. Our ride there was quite enjoyable and despite the narrow, winding road, we had no issues with vehicles giving us space, passing respectively and waiting on a few of the blind curves.

Great photos …
Reply to this comment
1 year ago