The Borrego Badlands - Winterlude 2022 - CycleBlaze

December 26, 2022

The Borrego Badlands

For the fourth year in a row we find ourselves biking east from Borrego Springs on S22, the lonely, dramatically beautiful road to the Salton Sea.  As we always do, we just ride out until it feels like the time is right to turn back - dropping all the way to the Salton Sea would make for a long but manageable 63 mile ride, but the closer you get to the Salton Sea the less appealing the ride becomes - once we cross the border into Imperial County the shoulder disappears, the sea itself isn’t all that attractive in our experience, the road surface deteriorates, and traffic worsens as we approach the sea - so we never plan on biking that far.  And besides, with an expected high of 80 today and a complete absence of cover for the entire ride we want to get the off the road before the day heats up too much.

Even though this ride seems to be turning into an annual Team Anderson tradition now, we aren’t remotely tired of it.  And today might be our best experience with it yet.  Visibility is good, winds are mild but generally favorable - we have a modest tailwind helping us up the climb from the west,  it it reverses direction once we cross the crest and helps us out on the way back too.  Best though, we’re seeing the desert in a way we’ve never seen it here before.  That look at a blooming sand verbena last night was just a harbinger of what’s ahead for us today.  In spots the ground is blanketed with wildflowers, a colorful mix of verbena, brittle bush, desert sunflowers and evening primroses.

We make it back to the motel by 1:30, just when it starts feeling too warm to be out any longer.  Time to grab a beer and sit outside in the shade instead.

Three miles from town we come to the first of the dramatic wildflower displays we’ll enjoy today. I wave Rachael on and tell her we’ll meet up in a few hours.
Heart 5 Comment 0
California brittlebush?
Heart 4 Comment 0
Desert primrose.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Twelve miles into the ride, it’s time to stop for a last look back to Borrego Springs before it disappears from view.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view we never tire of - the wall rising above Clark Valley.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I’m such a fan of alluvial fans.
Heart 8 Comment 2
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltYuk.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A last look back across Clark Valley before crossing over to the east side of the divide.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Christmas tree.
Heart 1 Comment 0
While I was stopped for that red ocotillo Silvan pulled up and stopped for a chat. He’s on his way south, hopefully to Argentina if he gets that far. He’s from southeast Portland but reveals that he hasn’t biked that whole way. He actually started 15 miles to the south of there, in Milwaukie. So, not that impressive after all.
Heart 5 Comment 0
I took this shot last year too, but the lighting conditions are much better today.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Looking south across Fonts Point. One of these winters we should take the long, sandy hike out there to enjoy the views across the badlands again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For about eight miles we descend toward the sea through the Borrego Badlands, passing one crazily eroded wash after another.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I wasn’t expecting the drier east side of the divide to have anything blooming, but I’m wrong.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I recognize the plant, brittlebush, which is a ground cover everywhere in the desert here, but I’ve never seen it in bloom before.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rachael appears in the distance, rising like a mirage from the Salton Sea.
Heart 7 Comment 0
I just passed this view less than an hour ago but feel compelled to stop again.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And this one too. It just looks different from this direction.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Over the top.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our reward at the end: a five mile descent into a jaw-dropping view.
Heart 7 Comment 0
The wildflowers blanketing Henderson Canyon are stunning - a mix of verbena, desert sunflowers and desert primrose.
Heart 8 Comment 0
We’ve never seen this desert like this. It’s quite unusual to have it in bloom at this time of year.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltThey got a good soaking a few weeks back. I was hoping for more to get a superbloom, but it looks unlikely.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraNice shot. I like this one1
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Desert sunflower.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Some may find this interesting. There’s plenty of climbing here if that’s what you’re after, but there’s a lot of flat, relaxed, quiet riding in the basin here too.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Kathleen JonesAnd some do! Thanks.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Kathleen JonesYup. Thinking of you in particular.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Video sound track: Aeolean Tale, by Oregon

Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 49 Miles, 1,700’; for the tour: 348 miles, 16,000’

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 348 miles (560 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Kelly IniguezWe drove through Yuma and the Imperial Valley. I found it interesting to see the area where Cesar Chavez was a rights activist. The movie with Michael Pena was excellent, if you are in the mood.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
marilyn swettLove the flower pictures! We'd love to return to that area sometime in the future.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo marilyn swettThis looks like it would be a good winter for it. They had a bit more rain last night. Tucson has been seeing some rain too, so we’re excited to see what it’s like this year.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago