Saguaro again - Winterlude 2022 - CycleBlaze

January 22, 2023

Saguaro again

It’s cold again this morning, but a whole three degrees warmer than yesterday morning when we get up - just above freezing.  We’re not leaving the house any time soon, but with a high of about sixty and full sun expected, it looks like as good an opportunity as we’re going to get for a ride out to the national park - the first for me this winter but the second for lucky Rachael, who was out there last week with Susan.

You already know that the loop through the park is the best nine mile ride in Tucson, bar none.  It’s as fine as ever today, and if it were closer at hand it’s a ride I’d be happy to get out on every week we’re in town.  And you don’t really need any new words about the park experience since you got some just last week so we’ll just leave you with the day’s video, a few photos, and a few brief observations.  Then, just watch the video and imagine you were here enjoying this ride yourself.  This could be you!

First, we took a different route out to the park today than Rachael and Susan did last week.  We followed Pima Street east to Pantano Wash, the same route I found for my ride out to Agua Caliente two days ago.  It adds about three miles to the ride, but they’re well worth it.  It made a much more enjoyable route east through town.  

Second, a note that this was largely an incident-free ride.  No new birds, no CycleBlaze meetups, and only one fleeting glimpse of a roadrunner.  Which was perfectly fine - we were out to see the park, and didn’t have a lot of time to dally anyway.  Rachael did note that she had a surprising number of ad hoc conversations along the way, taking in the views at vista points, waiting at rest stops and the like.  

Also, we didn’t see any riders packing heat, as Kelly said she’s seen a few times here.  It never occurred to us that anyone out here would be riding the Loop with a sidearm strapped to their hip, but I shouldn’t be surprised.  That’s apparently our country now.  America!

Third, a sobering public service announcement from the ranger at the entrance gate.  She warned us to watch out for water in the low spots, and said there was a bad accident yesterday morning when a woman crashed when she hit what she thought was a patch of black ice speeding down from Javelina Rocks.  Was she badly hurt, I asked with concern in my voice?  “Oh, yeah.  She wasn’t wearing a helmet”.

Don’t let that be you.

Video sound track: Cherokee, by Clifford Brown

Eastbound, leaving the campus.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On Escalante, approaching the park.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I love this spot at the start of the loop. It feels like the beginning of a roller coaster ride.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Keith AdamsThe "BRAKE NOW" warning in conjunction with the 5 mph turn speed on the as-yet-invisible curve are certainly ominous harbingers, aren't they?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezGreat photo! I rode the park yesterday also. We were obviously there at different times. You must have been later in the day, as when I got there, there was no gate attendant to warn about the water. Car traffic was heavy enough to make the ride unpleasant. I was in their way on the uphills, they were in my way on the downhills. At the picnic area, not a parking spot was available, the cars were parked along the roadway! I ate my apple at the handicap spot, which was open.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
The park seems greener and healthier, less drought-stricken than the last time I was here.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith AdamsI was amazed at how relatively dense the desert vegetation was, on our visit to Phoenix early this month. This area shows the same thing.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 2 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltTeddy bear chollas look so cuddly!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bill ShaneyfeltUntil you give one a great big hug!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Steve Miller/GrampiesTakes far less than that!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltWeighted down by all that fruit? :-)

My attempts might barrelly be considered humor by most.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bill ShaneyfeltWe laughed.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 2
marilyn swettLook at that snow on the mountains!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo marilyn swettIsn’t that great though? It’s really a beautiful time to be here.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 47 miles, 1,900’; for the tour: 1,201 miles, 42,300’

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 1,201 miles (1,933 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0