In Boulder City (a photo gallery) - Winterlude 2022 - CycleBlaze

February 4, 2023

In Boulder City (a photo gallery)

Boulder has a unique heritage.  Built in the desert in 1931, it was a planned factory town built by the U.S. government to house the workers needed to build Hoover Dam (originally Boulder Dam), one of the largest public works projects in the nation’s history.  It was designed on an almost utopian urban model, and grew to be the third largest city in Nevada before completion of the dam in 1937.  Today the city has a character quite unlike anywhere else in Nevada - the city charter prohibits gambling, tightly controls growth, and limits the size of its hotels to 35 rooms.   Only 20 miles from Las Vegas, it exists as almost that city’s logical opposite.

The city is justifiably proud of its unique history, and references to the building of the dam abound everywhere you look.  Especially appealing is the civic pride it shows in its well maintained parks and in the many works of art that line Nevada Way, the main thoroughfare through the historical center.  It makes an attractive spot for a before dinner stroll, or in my case one after breakfast while waiting for the day to warm up enough to ride.

An addendum: Here is a good, comprehensive article on the city’s history.

On Nevada Way, the Main Street through the historical city center.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rag Town Goddess, one of a series of art works that pays homage to the workers and their families that built Hoover Dam.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power building, built in 1937.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Keith AdamsEven knowing the relationship of Hoover Dam and Lake Mead to Los Angeles it's a bit jarring to see an LA civic building in the Nevada desert...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsThey were here because of their role in the electricity grid. When the dam was completed the government contracted with them and Con Edison to distribute its power to southern Nevada and California.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Alabam, another of the series of works honoring those who built the dam regardless of their role and status. This worker’s job was latrine maintenance.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Discussion Group, one of the many public art works lining Nevada Way sponsored by a local nonprofit group, Boulder City Public Artscape (BCPA).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wild One, another work sponsored by BCPA.
Heart 1 Comment 0
If It Isn’t One Thing, It’s Your Mother.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Puddlers Break, honoring the concrete spreaders who smoothed the wet concrete with their shovels and feet.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bouncin’.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Clorese.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On Nevada Way.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On Nevada Way.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I failed to record the name of this one.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Wilbur Square, a ‘turbine runner’ (water wheel) that powered the dam until it was later replaced.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There are some beautiful trees in Wilbur Square that unfortunately aren’t labeled. An elm?
Heart 2 Comment 0
The US Bureau of Reclamation Building crowns one of the two hills rising above the city.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The River Mountains, from a vista point behind the Administration Building.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another section of the River Mountains, from the same viewpoint.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Along Nevada Way.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another one I missed the name of. Sorry.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Eggcited.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hitchin’ a Ride, honoring the children of the dam workers and their families. Children were not a part of the city as originally planned, since it was envisioned that it would be built by single men only.
Heart 3 Comment 0
#61: American robin.
Heart 3 Comment 3
Keith AdamsI was thinking just this morning that we were overdue for one of these. I saw eight or ten of them on last week's ride.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsYes, it’s so exciting! The first Robin of spring! I was starting to be afraid we’d go through the whole year without them.

Actually though, it’s mostly because they’re not really desert dwellers. The ubiquitous American crow is another odd omission so far. They don’t make it quite to the Mexican border for some reason, but I suspect we’ll see one any day now.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill ShaneyfeltThis winter, they never left the Dayton area.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

2023 Bird List

     61. American Robin

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0