Early solstice - Winterlude 2022 - CycleBlaze

December 12, 2022

Early solstice

It’s the shortest day of the year, for us at least.  Today, with sunrise at 7:42 and sunset at 4:25 we’re down to under 9 hours of daylight.  Not that there’s been so much daylight to be seen in our twelve days here in Portland, when nearly every day has brought gray skies, scattered rain, and even a trace of snow once.  Coming from southern France it’s been a shock to the system, one we haven’t really adjusted to.

We haven’t posted much about this stay, mostly because there’s not been much to post about.  We’re finally just recovering from the illness that began back in Vence when I got so chilled on that descent from Col de Vence and that I eventually passed on to Rachael.  Rain, cold and ill health means that there’s mostly been a lot of this in the last ten days: 

Rachael’s lost track of how many books she’s plowed through in the last ten days.
Heart 2 Comment 0

There’s a been pretty limited social dimension to our stay here too: a couple of visits with my sister, dinner with her and her son Vance and daughter-in-law Laurie, and a 2/3 HAC gathering last week with the Grumbys: 

The photo bears some explanation. In the background is a scene from the video from one of Bruce and Andrea’s tours of Thailand, so they could be virtually represented in the team HAC photo. Unfortunately we didn’t ring Bruce’s gong, which would have been an even better substitute for their absence.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Ron SuchanekI didn't think about the gong! And we have a key to the house!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Ron SuchanekI didn’t either until afterwards. A missed opportunity.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

So, little to report so far.  Not even a coffee date with Bruce this time, since he rather thoughtlessly spirited Andrea off to Thailand for two months.

Change is coming though.  This is the shortest day of the year for us because in the morning we’re heading south.  In three days we’ll be in Paso Robles, which at the moment is seeing an hour and a half more daylight than Portland.  We’re definitely ready.

Before we go though we’re both getting out for a bit of last minute exercise before cooping ourselves up in the Raven for the next three days.  Rachael’s off on a long hike up into Washington Park, and I took Roddy down for a short spin along the waterfront - the first time I’ve been on the bike for over two weeks.

And, it’s the first time I’ve been on the Rodriguez for over nine months.  That’s long enough that I’ve almost forgotten how to ride him.  That 700cc front wheel looks huge after staring at the 20” wheels of the Bike Friday for most of the year, and the handling feels strange for the first few miles.  And the bike’s taller!  After leaving our apartment I stopped by Elizabeth’s to pick up her key to the Raven before leaving town so we’ll have a backup in case we lose one.  After our brief chat on the sidewalk I started to get back on the bike and promptly fell down on my back when my leg didn’t clear the cross-bar.  So that was embarrassing.  If I’d been quicker-witted I’d have handed the camera to Elizabeth to take a photo.

Our home for the last 12 days.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The yews are always the last to drop.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltI always enjoy seeing the sudden drop of golden ginko leaves.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
It’s nice to see some blue in the sky. It’s enough to make me regret not getting out while we were here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interesting clouds.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Bruce LellmanActually, it was Scott who thoughtlessly returned to Portland while I was away. Now our coffee meetup will have to occur in February. That's all right. It's good that we both had other engagements in other countries on opposite sides of the globe. We'll have a lot to talk about.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonHope you have both recovered from your infections and are fit for the next round of cycling. I'm looking forward to Passo Robles.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe are in the same boat as you - not adjusted to not being in Southern France, lying on the sofa reading, looking out at the grey skies with some snow. But you are getting ready to abandon ship, while we are just scanning the forecast (colder, snowier), looking for the window of weather when we can jump on, and if like you fall off of, our big bikes.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonWe have and we made it to Eureka and will be in Paso Robles day after tomorrow. Yipee!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Don NewnhamHi Scott,
I've been following your journals for quite a while now and want to thank you for them.
They are incredibly entertaining, informative and fun to read!
Obviously you put alot of thought and effort into them and the results are much appreciated.
Happy trails in Arizona while I freeze here in Canada...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Don NewnhamHi yourself Don, and thanks for dropping a note. Another Canadian! What part of your frozen country are you hibernating in? We’re hoping to make it up there this summer, but for now Arizona sounds more attractive alright.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago