Scenes from the road - Winterlude 2021 - CycleBlaze

February 3, 2022 to February 4, 2022

Scenes from the road

No biking, not even any significant walking to report.  We’re just driving home for three days straight, by a not especially efficient route.  In other words, largely a photo dump.  Still, it’s part of the journey so we might as well include it, hey?

Thursday

Thursday’s drive, the longest of the three, was really just that - a six hour nonstop from Borrego Springs to Point Arena.  And a not particularly enjoyable one at times either, with much of it on the high speed, congested freeways skirting Los Angeles and the Bay Area.  We stopped only once briefly, for gas somewhere in the Bay Area.  We could have taken more time but we wanted to arrive in Point Arena by about three, leaving us enough time to walk around and explore the beach or headlands.

Along the way though we did pick up iconic Highway 1 north of Point Reyes, after which driving slowed down significantly as we crawled along the coast through its unbroken series of blind curves and dramatic headlands and inlets.  Like our drive down Big Sur on the trip south, this is the first time we’ve ever driven this stretch of the California Coast, even though I’ve biked it three times and Rachael once.  It’s been over 16 years since Rachael and I biked it together though, and I’ve largely forgotten how spectacular this road is.  As I drove I mentally gamed out ideas for how I might find myself on this road with the bike again before it’s too late.

We arrived in Point Arena right at three, stepped out the door, felt the air, and immediately agreed on how much better it would feel to just stay indoors and warm than to take a walk.  Barely 50 degrees, with a strong 15+ mph wind that made it feel much colder.

We did at least make it down to the harbor around sundown though to pick up our take-out order and spend a few minutes looking at the waterfront.

Image not found :(
The coastline is dramatic here and well worth an exploration. Maybe we’ll come back and explore it some year, when it’s warmer or we’re in the right frame of mind.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Sunset at Point Arena. Some sort of flycatcher, I think.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Jen RahnWow! Looks like this bird is in mid-song!

That's gotta be a pretty rare capture and the zoom in on the singing beak makes a nice crop.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnThat was lucky, but not perfect. I was hoping to get him with his tail erect and visible too.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Friday

Its beautiful this morning - still, sunny, a morning that inspires you to get outdoors and do something.  It’s a shame it wasn’t like this when we arrived last night, but of course we have to drive.  Like yesterday, we want to make time and allow room for another walk in the redwoods.

We don’t get far though - maybe a mile - when we come to the turnoff to the Point Arena light and I pull off on impulse.  I like lighthouses, and we can afford a few minutes.  It’s a good thing we did, because it’s a spectacular site, with the tall, slender lighthouse standing at the end of a long promontory surrounded by dramatic cliffs.  It’s about two miles off the highway, and by bike it never made the cut as a detour so this is our first time seeing it.  

At 115 feet tall, it’s tied with the Pigeon Point light as the tallest on the west coast.  I was interested to see that there are 35 taller ones lining the Atlantic Coast though, maybe because of the terrain.  The Point Arena light is perched at the top of 100’ cliffs so it doesn’t need as much height to project far out to sea.

The end of the point is fenced off and closed this morning so we can just see the lighthouse from a distance, but it’s enough.  I’d like to come back some year though when the tower has been reopened for visitors and climb up to take in the view from the top.

The Point Arena light went up in 1870. It had its 150th anniversary celebration in 2020 - just one more thing that Covid ruined.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Jen RahnFoop!

That the kind of celebration not to be missed.

I don't think "153rd Anniversary" would draw as much attention.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
The Point Arena light.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I love this fence. I’ve never seen one quite like it.
Heart 7 Comment 6
Jen RahnThat is amazing! About how high is it?

I'm guessing 5ish feet?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnMaybe that much, or perhaps closer to four. I should have thought to take better note. Isn’t it wonderful though? A work of art.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bruce LellmanI want a wall like this in our backyard.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauVery interesting fence, in a Stonehenge kind of way. I wonder if it was built by ancient northern California druids?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Gregory GarceauYes, surely. California has everything, and no doubt the druids we’re here. More importantly though, what do you think of a fences or borders challenge for next month?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauTo Scott AndersonYes, fences, gates, barriers, and borders. That is an excellent suggestion. Of course you know that I will have to claim the idea as my own.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
At Point Arena.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Jen RahnThat's it! If there is a belated celebration in 2023, this excellent photo of Rachael needs to be part of the marketing campaign.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Harbor seals! It’s so funny the way they balance on the rocks with their heads and tails arched up.
Heart 4 Comment 0
At Point Arena.
Heart 3 Comment 0
For those of you frustrated by the yellow flowers blanketing they ground beneath that Monterrey Cypress a few days back, here’s a closer look. We’ve been seeing this flower all along the coast.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltAs is often the case, this is an invasive, this time, Bermuda buttercup.

https://www.calflora.org//app/taxon?crn=6016
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltI knew you’d come through.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
I’ve got a tough decision ahead. Soon I’m going to have to choose. Which Pendleton shirt am I going to take to Barcelona with me? Maybe this one this time.
Heart 8 Comment 7
Jen RahnHow many do you have?

I seem to remember one of them is predominantly blue (or green)?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rich FrasierI think we need to have a cycleblaze vote on this subject…. :)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnMaybe six, if you include the old worn ones that I hardly ever use. Three are in active circulation - this one, a bluish one, and. Blue-green one. This one is the newest one, from last year - likely the last one I’ll get from mom. It’s never been on a real tour, and I’m thinking its time has come.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jen RahnAbsolutely! I vote for this one, then.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bruce LellmanOh no, I suppose this topic will dominate our conversation over coffee.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanI’ll try to remember to wear all three so you can offer an opinion.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bruce LellmanTo Scott AndersonYes, that would be great. Out of sympathy for your plight they might give you more than one free bagel.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

The drive north along Highway 1 was a continuation of yesterday’s reminiscence of biking down the California coast years ago.  I really have forgotten how amazing some of this country looks, although much of it looks pretty daunting by bicycle now - especially near Mendocino and Fort Bragg, where the traffic picks up considerably and there is zero shoulder for miles.  As much as I’d like to see it again, I have misgivings about safety on some stretches.  Rachael and I didn’t bike this part of the coast, so the last time I biked it myself was way back in 1986.  Much has changed since then.

Looking north, somewhere near Albion.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We made it to the Rockefeller Grove in the Humboldt Redwoods early in the afternoon.  When we were planning out the day we mapped out a hike from there north along Bull Creek, but it wasn’t to be.  We haven’t talked about it before I don’t think, but Rachael is suffering from foot problems beyond the bruised heel she has been recovering from.  Her toes are vey sore, and she can hardly walk comfortably at all.  She’s got an appointment with her new primary care physician when we arrive in Portland, but for now she’s visibly limping.  So a real hike is out, but we at least did make it through the short half mile loop through the Rockefeller Grove, an astounding grove of stupefyingly huge trees.

The Raven and the redwoods.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In the Rockefeller Grove.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Almost incomprehensible.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Just a girl who likes to have fun.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Jen RahnAnother 'Wow'!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
In the Rockefeller Grove.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In the Rockefeller Grove.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Natural bridge, Bull Creek.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In the Rockefeller Grove.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The one on the right is a leaner, and looks like it’s being held up for the moment by the one on the left. Something’s gotta give.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We don’t quite understand what’s happening here. I wish I’d gotten a better photo, but it’s a complicated situation. There are branches growing out of the base of the tree, and others growing out of the ground. Is it reseeding itself?
Heart 1 Comment 3
Kathleen JonesBill can chime in here too, but when redwoods are stressed they send out shoots at the base of the trunk. It is a survival mechanism.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Kathleen JonesThanks, Kathleen. I was hoping someone knowledgeable would speak up. There were several like this. Drought maybe?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen JonesDrought would be a very good possibility. But trampling and compacting of the ground around it, various diseases or bugs, pollution, etc etc could all affect the tree.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Image not found :(
When they were good.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrived in Crescent City at 5 and headed straight to the harbor to a fish market/diner Rachael had targeted.  The place was totally empty so we felt safe eating inside, enjoying our grilled king salmon and steelhead feast with a view of the developing sunset.  It’s been quite a scenic day, for just a drive - the lighthouse, the redwoods, the best sunset of the tour.

Portland tomorrow!

Image not found :(
More harbor seals. They come in chocolate and vanilla.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Crescent City light is shorter than the one on Point Arena, to make the obvious point.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Not a bad way to bring the road trip to a close.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Susan CarpenterHoping Rachael’s foot problem is easily and quickly sorted out in Portland.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jen RahnYes! What Susan said.

Hope your foot pain can be remedied by rest and other not-too-complicated treatments, Rachael!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonYes, what Susan and Jen said! Hopefully a quick recovery!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bob DistelbergI probably shouldn’t be saying this on a cycle touring website, but road trips can be fun too. This looks like it was a good one. Sorry to hear about Rachael’s foot problems. I’m sure very frustrating for her.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rich FrasierGet better soon, Rachael! It’s got to be so frustrating for such an active person to be hurt like that.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Rich FrasierFrustrating for me too. She gets restive at times like this.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonTo Rich FrasierIt sure is!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago