Riverside Drive - Winterlude 2021 - CycleBlaze

March 8, 2022

Riverside Drive

We’re getting out on a ride today but we’re time boxed two ways.  It’s overcast, cold and dampish this morning, and right at freezing when we first check the weather.  And, we have to be back in time for Rachael’s phone consultation with the ENT doctor who diagnosed and set Rachael up for surgery on her nose.  

So a longer ride is out.  We have a few such in mind but they’ll have to wait for a fairer and less constrained day.  Instead, once it warms up enough we bike out east of town again and then just keep traveling east, following Riverside Drive and then Bryant Way until we reach Bryant Park at the confluence of the Willamette and Calapooia, right at the outskirts of Albany.  A pretty short ride, so we pad it with excursions along dead end spurs along the way; and as usual Rachael sprints ahead when I stop for pics, doubles back, sprints ahead again and manages to pack in an extra ten miles before we both finally make it back to the apartment.

the whole ride is cold but otherwise fine, but the highlight is definitely passing by Iron Water Ranch and admiring its sheep.  Like that sheep farm we just as on Sauvie Island, we’re here at the ideal time for the newborns.

On Walcott Street, a road to nowhere we racked on just to add a few miles.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Mary’s Peak and some daffodils, from Walcott Drive.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Self serve flower stand, Wolcott Drive.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Everything is delightful at the egg stand, but I’m not here for the eggs. I was more interested in the Polynesian hut outbuilding behind.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Oaks and blueberries, Riverside Drive.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barn with outbuilding, Riverside Drive.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Llama and red barn, Riverside Barn.
Heart 3 Comment 0
At Iron Water Ranch, the highlight of the day’s ride. if it weren’t so cold we could have spent a long time standing around ogling over the sheep and lambs.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I give up. What does it mean to be a ‘dual purpose sheep’?
Heart 0 Comment 3
Polly LowYou can eat it *and* you can make a jumper out of it? (Perhaps not in that order...)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Susan CarpenterMeat and Wool
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Polly LowOh! Three way then. I was assuming companion was one of them.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Hey kiddo - don’t eat that stick!
Heart 4 Comment 2
Andrea BrownThose are some pretty darn cute lambs.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownSeriously. We’ve never been down here in lambing season before. Delightful.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Wow, 44 mph! G, Rocky!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hazelnuts and blackbirds, Bryant Drive.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Everybody in the pool! The water in the front is the Willamette River, and behind it’s the Calapooia. Bryant Park sits at their confluence.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Spring won’t be long, but we’re a few weeks early. A few things are blooming here and there, but they’re the exception still.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We’re back in plenty of time for Rachael’s consultation with her doctor. We’ve got a terrific place here in Corvallis - excellently appointed, with one whole chair and even a lap board if we want to have breakfast in bed.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rachael raved over her dinner at Del Alma tonight: Sautéed prawns served with Dungeness crab potato taquitos, broccoli, cherry tomato pico de gallo, sweet potato, sweet pea greens, and a crab-scented cream sauce. Two thumbs up, she exclaims, even better than McMenamins!
Heart 3 Comment 0
The beautiful Benton County Courthouse - begun in 1888, it’s the oldest courthouse in Oregon still in use for its original purpose.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 29 miles (47 km)
Total: 2,515 miles (4,048 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Andrea BrownWhat? No photos of the grange? My old wedding venue?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownWell, I did think of you at least when we biked past. It hasn’t even been two years though. Too soon.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago