Just another Sauvie Sunday - Winterlude 2021 - CycleBlaze

March 6, 2022

Just another Sauvie Sunday

Today’s our last day in Portland before leaving town for a few days.  And because the weather is fine again we’re riding.  And because it’s Sunday we’re off to Sauvie Island for likely the last time until next winter.

And because we’re leaving town in the morning and have to pack and clean up before we go, I don’t have much time for blathering about how great today’s ride was.  Trust me though, it was pretty great.  We decided to maximize our time on the island by skipping twenty miles of city and highway and driving out, giving Rachael time to put in 47(!) miles on the quiet, flat island roads.  At the end she feels fine - her breathing is good, she’s starting to feel strong again, and her only complaint is that she’s missing the suspension seat post she has on her Bike Friday.  She kept a fast pace, riding 15-16 mph most of the way.

And because it’s Sauvie Island there is a lot to stop and savor if you’re not fixated on putting in beau coup miles and testing your fitness.  I already know I’m as fit as the Dickens and have nothing to prove to myself, so I’m content to putter along today, put in a reasonable but lesser number of miles, stop where I will, and see what there is to see.  As always, there’s a lot to see today.

Northbound on Sauvie Island Road, following the Multnomah Channel. One of the few times today when Rachael was in sight. Good thing we can locate each other on our Garmins.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the channel.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Something I’ve never seen on the channel here. I wonder where they’re hauling this in from.
Heart 1 Comment 0
For Cycle365. The challenge this month: outbuildings.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Kathleen JonesThe gnomes are *chef’s kiss*
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Here’s another.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Suzanne GibsonLove the cemented log ends!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Along the channel, at our favorite time of the year out here: lambing season!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Ooh!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Aah!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Can’t we take this one home with us?
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bruce LellmanHome? And where would that be?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanIt might fit into one of Rachael’s panniers for awhile, but we’d need a long term plan.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
A mixed lot at the feed lot - there are a few goats crowding in down there.
Heart 1 Comment 0
What we like to see: peaceful coexistence. We all need much more of that now.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A rough-legged hawk I think, although a harrier is another possibility. This guy soared around low over the ground for awhile and then alit in the field. Do rough-legs do that?
Heart 3 Comment 0
I’ve been hearing cranes all the way out the channel, but finally a few are in fairly close to the road.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On Oak Island Road, a three mile dead end spur that we haven’t explored for a long time. It’s been several years, probably.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In formation.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another shot for the outbuilding challenge. At least three in this collection, and maybe more. Also, my favorite wreck on the island. This structure was still all white when I started tracking its decay.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I liked this rig and it’s shadows but was annoyed by the garish traffic cone beside it. I was tempted to walk across the field and move it out of the frame but thought the better of it.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Graham FinchMy friend g would have taken a photo because the cone WAS there :)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Graham FinchHmm. I’ll have to give this some thought. There might be a lesson here.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Most of last autumn’s colorful wasted squash was plowed under just in the last few weeks, but a few were missed here and there.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pintails and last autumn’s squash.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 2,444 miles (3,933 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0