Echo, help me remember things! - Winterlude 2021 - CycleBlaze

February 6, 2022

Echo, help me remember things!

“OK.  What should I remember?“

We’re in our new home, where we’ll be staying for the next month.  We arrived about 5 yesterday after the six hour drive up from Crescent City, broken by a lengthy visit with Lynn on our way through Eugene.  Other than for the excellent visit there’s little to report on other than the weather.  It was beautiful when we drove into Portland - clear, sunny, with snowbound Mount Hood and Saint Helens on the horizon welcoming us home.  It looks like we’ve brought the sun north with us, and the weather looks to be excellent (for this time of year) for the coming two weeks.

So the main thing we’d like our new virtual roommates Echo and Alexa to help us remember is this place we’ll be living in.  We’ve never stayed anywhere quite like it, and it promises to be an interesting month.  First, the basics: we’re in another downtown condo unit, one we haven’t stayed in before - a 6th floor two level apartment on the south end of downtown, next door to The Old Church and not far from the cultural center.  It’s somewhat more upscale than other downtown places we’ve landed, but it’s what was available when we started shopping around.

Several things about it stand out but one is that it’s voice activated.  We’ve never stayed in a unit serviced by Alexa or her cousin Echo, and we’re still trying to remember a few basic commands, such as “Alexa, turn on light by the stove.”  Click, OK.  Novel, a bit silly, but we’re adaptable.  It’s good for the aging brain to be faced with new challenges from time to time.

Another is that it’s spacious and generously furnished.  Both floors are quite large open floor squarish spaces about 25 by 25 feet.  The kitchen’s upstairs, the bed’s below, and both floors have a bath with shower, a TV, a gas fireplace, and a variety of comfortable, modern furnishings.  A washer and dryer, an exercise bike.  Way more than we need of course, but it is great to be able to get up early in the morning, walk upstairs, and turn on the lights without disturbing partner.  And, having two bathrooms is over the top.

And then there’s the artwork.  There are several appealing enlarged photos and paintings of scenes around Portland - the east bank esplanade, the Ross Island Bridge - and also a gallery of prints by various modern masters: Calder, Magritte, Dali, Mondrian.  A visually interesting place to look around, and I’m sure we’ll keep finding something new and surprising until the day we leave.

One view of the upstairs.
Heart 2 Comment 0
From the opposite angle. Outside the frame on the left are the kitchen area and upstairs bath.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The stairwell.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bedroom.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Contiguous with the bedroom: the office.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And the lounge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And the workout room, with a most excellent ceramic chicken collection.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The master bath.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanOh! I’ll have to start listening to that soothing voice with new respect.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Heart 0 Comment 0
It looks like we’ll get a view toward Goose Hollow when the fog lifts.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Rich FrasierAh, Portland winter weather! You’re making me all nostalgic!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
And the west hills. Also the surface parking lot that hosts the Raven. Hopefully it will stay safe down there.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Andrea BrownKeep it showroom empty. I'd be putting a Club on it too.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownThanks. Too late for showroom empty - it’s full of crumbs and sunflower seeds. Amazing how quickly Team Anderson can clutter up its nest. The club is a good idea, but I’m thinking it will mostly stay in Elizabeth’s garage.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
The fog is lifting already.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 11
Kathleen JonesOMG that is such a techbro place. Have fun!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauWhat a place! If I were stay there, my four favorite voice commands would be: 1) "Alexa, illuminate the Dali painting, please." 2) "Echo, tell me which shower will be hotter and more luxurious today." 3) "Alexa, prepare my bike for a ride at 10:30 a.m." 4) "Echo, never wake me up from this dream."
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bob DistelbergNice looking place! Alexa, very useful for telling you the temperature before heading out for your morning rides. Also useful for setting timers while cooking and your hands are full.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Eva WaltersWow, quite a contrast to your place in Tucson! Is there a bike room downstairs or are the bikes in the apartment?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Eva WaltersDo you mean our bikes? We brought them in the apartment. Also there’s a modest quality exercise bike in the unit. It will work well for Rachael while she’s taking it easy recovering from her surgery.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonAlexa, take picture!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonYou’ll be amused to hear that when I read this to Rachael, a voice from behind said “Amazon Photos is not supported on this device.”
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetNice place! But our niece Alexa wouldn't appreciate it. She's not a Google fan--why did they have to choose *her* name?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetWell, Amazon thinks of everything - you can even reset it to use an alternate name of your choice. Isn’t that the point though? Alexa thinks so you don’t have to.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jen RahnVery cool place! Nice to have room to spread out for a month

And a place to be fancy with the "smart" devices.

I'll be eager to read about how Alexis is / isn't helpful.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonMy niece's problem is visiting others who have the system installed. She keeps thinking she's the one requested to do something.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago