The Mill Creek Rim Trail - Winterlude 2020 - CycleBlaze

March 20, 2021

The Mill Creek Rim Trail

First day of spring!

We’ve had three strenuous rides in a row now and it’s due to get very windy this afternoon.  That’s enough to convince us that it’s time for a day off the saddles.  We stare at the map looking for hiking inspiration and come up with a promising one - a hike up Mill Creek Ridge.  It’s not too well advertised but I find a first hand account that speaks highly of it as a low elevation walk that’s great in the winter months, not too technical, and offers fine views of the La Sals.  An almost eleven mile out and back that starts from the door of our motel, it’s a bit long for me.  I imagine I’ll lag behind Rachael, meet her on her way back, and put in maybe eight miles.

We get  an early start, planning to complete the walk before the predicted strong winds blow in around early afternoon.  It’s still cool and overcast this morning when we step out the door. The walk begins with about two miles of crossing the neighborhoods east of downtown, following Mill Creek upstream.  It’s a fine walk, mostly on pedestrian/bike paths.  Within just a few blocks we leave Moab’s unpleasantly busy main strip behind and enjoy a pastoral creekside stroll.  

Walking along Mill Creek, only about three blocks from Main Street. Already it’s very quiet and peaceful.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It’s a colorful walk through town, with bright murals highlighting the way.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hey, look at that great old junk!
Heart 2 Comment 0
And it is great, thoughtfully placed here for our appreciation by the Canyon Country Museum.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Toward the outskirts of town I come to Rotary Park, described on the map as A serene park with a unique playground.  I might have just hustled through and tried to keep up with Rachael, but I slow down for a longer take, inspired by Greg’s quest to visit all 37 playgrounds in his home town.  And the map is right - it does have a unique playground, filled with dozens of percussive instruments.  Irresistable.

In Rotary Park.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Moab’s Rotary Park features a unique playground.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Jeanna & Kerry SmithI want to go there!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
An oldie.
Heart 1 Comment 0
From its Ferguson grill emblem it looks like it’s a Ford 9N, vintage 1939-47.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Moab.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After two and a half miles we’re finally out of town and on the Mill Creek trail system.  There are two different trails starting from the parking lot here - one that follows the creek up into its canyon that features a waterfall, swimming holes, and several creek crossings; and one that climbs up the rim.  We don’t have any waterproof footwear, so we’re going up.

This is all BLM land now, and managed for recreation.  In its more recent past though it was industrial.  Mill Creek was dammed in 1919 to provide hydropower for Moab.  It was the city’s primary electrical source until a long distance transmission line made it obsolete in 1919.

Mill Creek, below the old dam. The parking lot is still ahead, so we could have just driven the first two and a half miles of today’s hike. But then, we would have missed the unique playground in Rotary Park.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The remains of Powerhouse Dam, Moab’s electricity source until 1945.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The walk has been a steady but gradual climb until reaching the dam, but from here it starts climbing more steeply as it rapidly rises above the creek.  It’s not a well marked route at first - no cairns, you’re just following footprints through the sand and rocks.  I take the wrong branch at one point and follow the footsteps up a small box canyon for a short ways and have to backtrack.

Once on top though, the grade lessens again and for the rest of the way the walk follows an old ATV track that’s now only open to foot traffic.  Soon the La Sal range comes into view, and then the walk follows close by the canyon rim and you get a great look down the canyon and along the sandstone cliffs lining it.

The scenery is compelling enough and the walking easy enough that it just keeps drawing me in.  I walk further than I’d intended and am starting to consider turning back, but when I encounter Rachael a half mile from trail’s end on her way back she urges me to continue on.  She’s right - the best is yet to come.

Climbing up to Mill Creek Ridge. It’s not always clear what the right path is through here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On top of the ridge, looking south to the La Sal mountains.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking into the head of Mill Creek Canyon.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Passing ships.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rachael’s panorama shot from trail’s end.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking down into the canyon. With the right footwear I’m sure that would be an amazing hike too. Even with a bit of wind, I can hear the water rushing down the creek from up here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
From the end of the trail, the views down Mill Creek canyon are spectacular. The wall below me drops straight down. With the wind blowing toward the canyon, I’m careful to not get too close.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Junipers don’t need much in the way of a foothold.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The yuccas up here are runty. Even with their stalk they stand to barely two feet.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking west across Spanish Valley.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A last look back at the La Sals before heading down off the ridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking down on the parking lot at the Mill Creek trailhead, with Moab visible through the canyon slot. With still three miles left in the hike, I’m a bit sorry the Raven isn’t down here waiting.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraNice percussion work, Scott!:P
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraYup. Planning on signing on with a jazz combo once the nightclubs open up again.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Hiking stats today: 11 miles, 1,100’

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Jen RahnThanks for the percussive side show, Scott!

They should hire you for playground entertainment. 😁
Reply to this comment
3 years ago