The long drive: Baker City - Winterlude 2020 - CycleBlaze

March 31, 2021

The long drive: Baker City

With the longest of the three days ahead of us, we get an early start.  We’re up at 6:30 for the exciting breakfast our motel offers us (coffee and a Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich!), and are on the road not long afterwards.

The Raven, showing what two months in the desert will do to your shiny black coat, fluffs his wings and is ready to fly. He’s anxious to get to his new home and take a bath.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Other than for stops, today’s 400 miler is entirely on the freeway, posted at 80 mph the whole way until we reach the Oregon border and it drops to 75.  For the most part southern Idaho isn’t the most compelling sight so we’re pretty content to just put our miles in as fast as possible, grateful that we have a newer, more comfortable car with a decent sound system.

Our only ‘road photo’ from the day, at a rest stop near Snowville and the Utah/Idaho border.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The highlight of the day is a prolonged stop near Twin Falls to hike part of their Canyon Rim Trail, an impressive cycling/walking trail that follows the south rim of the Snake River canyon for about ten miles.  We parked at Shoshone Falls Park and walked west from there, each at our own preferred pace  - Rachael sped her way through eight miles while I did a bit less, making time to commune with the rock chucks and bunnies.

Starting out (and up) on the Canyon Rim Trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking down from the rim to Shoshone Falls.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shoshone Falls. Not much water spilling over today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
An impressive canyon, scoured out in the last Ice Age when the natural dam holding back the huge Bonneville Lake ruptured.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Along the Canyon Rim Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back at Shoshone Falls and the channelized Snake.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the Canyon Rim Trail. A very pleasant and very popular park, suitable for either families or creaky geezers.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the Canyon Rim Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I was puzzled by this odd formation when I approached it from a distance. There’s nothing else like it around.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here’s the explanation: it’s artificial, built as the launching spot for Evel Kneivel’s unsuccessful attempt in 1974 to leap the canyon with his rocket powered motorcycle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sure, let’s jump over that! Do you remember Evel and this jump? I do - as did a local woman we chatted with on the trail. She was among the thousands of spectators who watched the event, disappointed when it was thwarted by a parachute malfunction.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A yellow-bellied marmot checks out the scene from a secure post.
Heart 4 Comment 0
I was excited to see the first few of these (which the locals call rock chucks), but quit stopping to admire each one after seeing dozens of them.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Kelly Iniguezwe call them whistle pigs around here. Good photos! They are quick moving.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
And one bunny. The only one I spotted, so of course I stopped.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another look down into the canyon. This country reminds me of the scablands of eastern Washington, not surprisingly since they were both sculpted by cataclysmic prehistoric floods.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Petrine Memorial Bridge carries US 93 across the river. It has an attractive, minimalist design that reminds you of the Navajo Bridge. With a deck height nearly 500 feet above the river, it’s the eighth highest bridge in the country - just higher than the Navajo, which is the ninth.
Heart 1 Comment 6
Bruce LellmanWell, apparently, Evel could have just taken the bridge across to the other side.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanNope. The jump was in 1974, and the bridge opened in 1976. My assumption is that they built the bridge after seeing that rocket powered motorcycles were a no go.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bruce LellmanOh, wow, I had no idea that bridge was so recent.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jacquie GaudetThat's a truly beautiful bridge!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetI thought so too. We drove over it after the hike, and I regret not pulling off for a last look.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonI suspect you already saw it from the best angle.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Checking out those rock chucks on the way back to the car.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rose hips with gall.
Heart 1 Comment 0
So what kind of nest is this?
Heart 1 Comment 4
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like oriole type nest. Apparently Bullocks oriole is the species in that area.

https://birdwatchinghq.com/orioles-in-oregon/
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltThat’s what I thought too, but it was fairly small. I didn’t know if other birds build ones like this also.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Patrick O'Harabushtit nest?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraHey, that looks promising! The scale seems right - it really seems too small for an oriole, which of course you can’t really tell from the photo. I’m glad I asked. I never would have guessed these tiny birds would build a nest like that.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

So that’s it for the day’s excitement.  With still 250 miles to go, we just drove.  Well, we did stop once, for dinner - Rachael found for us a surprisingly good Italian meal at Italianesque, in Nampa of all places.

Last food photos of the tour! Radiatori with grilled chicken and veggies.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So colorful! Ravioli with butternut squash, pancetta and goat cheese.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Andrea BrownI think you swapped your dish descriptions here but they both look awesome.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownOh! Correct on both points.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

We crossed the border to Oregon at about six and lost an hour as we changed time zones, surprised to realize that we’d be arriving at about sundown and puzzled by why after all these years we still get confused by time zone transitions.  We keep thinking of ourselves as reasonably intelligent folks, but the evidence suggests otherwise.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0