Snow Canyon State Park - Winterlude 2020 - CycleBlaze

March 2, 2021

Snow Canyon State Park

Snow Canyon State Park, only a few miles northwest of Saint George, is almost too lovely for words.  In any other state but Utah this would probably be a National park.  It leaves me speechless.  Fortunately we have video and some photos to fill in the blanks.

Video sound track: Fill Me Up, by Shawn Colvin

Leaving the neighborhood, we get a good look at what’s coming. Snow Canyon is that V-shaped notch ahead with the white mountain behind it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A slight problem with the otherwise nice Halfway Wash bike path, a short connector in the NW corner of town.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Save me, save me, our damsel in distress wails, stuck in the gravel working her way around the water-blocked underpass.
Heart 2 Comment 4
Jen RahnDamsel in distress!
In tire-swallowing gravel
Pushing bike, she wails.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnYou’re diversifying!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jen RahnWe just watched Hunt for the Wilderpeople, which put the haiku back on my radar.

Have you and Rachael seen that movie? It's available on Kanopy and Netflix, too, I believe.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnNo haven’t seen it, or heard of it either before now. It sounds worth a look, but we have to make it through three more seasons of our current addiction first, Call My Agent.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
With Red Mountain towering ahead of us, we ride the Snow Canyon Parkway through the outskirts of town to the southern entrance of the park.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Inside the park now, we’re on the Whiptail, a pedestrian path that carries us north for the first several miles before merging back onto Snow Canyon Drive, the thru-road that splits the park. It’s a steady, gradual climb, but you don’t notice so much because you’re taking in the spectacular views the whole way.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Riding the Whiptail. Stunning.
Heart 6 Comment 0
In the heart of the park we bike past the Petrified Dunes, a dramatic block of rolling Navaho Sandstone. It looks like a great place to come back for a hike also.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Petrified Dunes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Petrified Dunes.
Heart 4 Comment 0
This is such a geologically diverse area. The sandstone on the eastern side of the canyon is capped by a layer of crumbling black lava.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This photo doesn’t quite capture how dramatically colorful this is, with the crumbling lava layering over the red and white sandstone.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Whiptail ends just past the Petrified Dunes. For the remaining miles of the park we’re on Snow Canyon Drive, climbing past the towering white sandstone cliffs of the northern end of the park.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We’re above the park now, biking the broad shoulder of Route 18 on our way north to Veyo, where we’ll turn back. This first section is volcanic, with three cinder cones lining the road. This rounded mound is Santa Clara Volcano, the smallest of the three.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On Route 18, looking east to the northern, snowier side of Pine Mountain.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Just south of Veyo, we pass the largest of the set, Veyo Volcano. In another mile or so I’ll meet up again with Rachael and we’ll turn back. She only rode a bit over a mile further than me, but they were all a 7% grade downhill to Veyo and then back up again. Darn, I missed it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Back through the park again, coasting down the Whiptail. The sun has moved on, and now illuminates the red sandstone walls on the east side of the canyon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
The eastern wall of Snow Canyon.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another photo that doesn’t quite do the trick. There are so many colors in this formation.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Leaving the park through the south end.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 44 miles, 3,200’; for the tour: 3,208 miles, 132,100’; for the year: 45 riding days, 1,943 miles, 75,100’, and 3 flat tires

Today's ride: 44 miles (71 km)
Total: 3,208 miles (5,163 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Jen RahnJaw-dropping scenery!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Kathleen JonesIt’s quite a place, alright. And I think not too well known, and not too crowded. There are so many other places when people think of Utah that it gets overlooked. All the better.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
marilyn swettHey Scott! Guess we're we landed yesterday? Yup - St. George! This was an unexpected change of plans as we need to replace a furnace switch in a warmer climate. We'll be here for 3 more days, so I've been rereading your coverage of biking in the area. I think we can easily access the trail to Snow Canyon right next to the Elks lodge where we are camped. The other trails you described also sound great. Of course, we'll have to climb back to here if we drop down to the river!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo marilyn swettI wondered if you might make it down there. Have a great time! I hope we make it back there ourselves before long. We considered it for this winter, but I think we’d be too late in the year. Right now seems like it would be about perfect.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago