Training Rides - Grampies Grand Willamette Excursion Summer 2019 - CycleBlaze

July 30, 2019

Training Rides

Day one  July 30

It has been a while since Avi and Violet have been out on a long ride. Maybe it was even on Grampies go Unhinged way back in 2017. And their bikes have been packed up in storage, while renos happen at their house. Better do some quick spins, and get them warmed up before hitting the open roads.

Actually, around 2017 we shied away from doing the Willamette, because it seemed like it was mainly on road. But that was then. Now the mature 11 year olds are ready to duke it out with the logging trucks. Maybe. We'll go out and find some, and see how it works out.

We structured our first ride as 20 km near home, here on Vancouver Island. The target would be a really good ice cream stop. But you do have to keep your cool on some of the roads. We took the normal precautions: Flashing tail lights, safety vests or reflectors, and the adults riding shotgun, sandwiching the kids and a little more out into the roadway.

Violet was in fact a little freaked, but not so much by cars as by hills. She has a great Trek bike now, quite light, with 21 speeds. The hills are not actually a problem. It's the idea of the hills. How often does something like that crop up in all aspects of daily life! It's not the thing but the fear of the thing that holds us back.

Well we made it to the ice cream shop, and it is a really worthwhile stop. They make the gelato on site. Flavours today included sweet potato and chocolate-peanut butter! It's weird too - they will allow you to get your portion in two flavours. But if you ask for that you get two full scoops. There does not seem to be a way to get just one scoop. But anyway, two scoops for $5.25 is €1.80 per scoop. Euros per scoop is the only way we really understand gelato prices.  €1.80 is kind of high, but not so bad.

Fortified by gelato, it was time to go out really truck hunting. The Trans Canada Highway is good territory for that.  In fact, near our house it's quite safe, with a shoulder of at least 6 feet. The only real problem is the noise. Many cyclists have mentioned that in blogs. The photo shows that while we did find our logging truck quarry, the kids were nicely tucked in their adult sandwich, and were keeping a straight line, and to the right.

We should be ready, then, to tackle phase two - the Saanich Peninsula.

The kids just got reflectors attached to their backs
Heart 4 Comment 0
Blackberry stop, to gather enough calories to make it to the gelato shop
Heart 4 Comment 0
ah, gelato!
Heart 5 Comment 3
Marvin PaxmanWas this gelato in Cobble Hill proper? Enquiring minds want to know. We stopped into the new ice cream parlour in Shawnigan the day it opened a month or so ago. They were having a rough day as the smoothie machine was malfunctioning in the heat and was drawing too much electricity for the circuit or something like that. They made us their last customers for the day. Hopefully they got everything ironed out.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Marvin PaxmanTo Marvin PaxmanOh, now I'm thinking that this was day one and you went to that little grocery store where Koksilah meets the highway. And the map is for day two.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Marvin PaxmanThat store only has Island Farms ice cream (but quite cheap). No, the one to try is Sweet Meadows, where Kilmalu meets the highway.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Taking on the trucks
Heart 5 Comment 0

July 31   Day Two -Saanich

Heart 0 Comment 0

Although we took the kids around the "back way", there is really no way to get to the ferry to Saanich without some distance on the Trans Canada Highway. We were gratified to see how well the kids handled it. Traffic aside, the trip to the ferry did have pleasures - like blackberries now getting really ripe, and of course, cows!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then there is the now familiar "sea cruise" on the ferry.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

 On the other side, we followed roads we had taken a week earlier on our own, and of course there was still that very usable shoulder/bike lane. We urged the kids on with tales of the "secret" blackberry patches along the Saanich Touring Route, just before you reach the big highway crossing. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

The patches were there alright, and loaded with berries, but just not ripe enough. This disappointment was coupled with another downer, literally. Avi was cruising along the road by the berries, doing nothing special, when blat!, he went flying in a jumble of handlebars and wheels. The later forensic analysis revealed nothing but a slight unevenness in the pavement, or maybe one small pebble. A freak accident, but no real harm done. We felt smug about the cycling gloves, that protected hands. And Dodie was glad she had the kids in long sleeves and pants - meant for sun protection, these minimized road rash.

Avi himself was a trooper. No tears, and pretty soon back on the bike. 

A "first responder" arrives just after the crash.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Can't really see why Avi went down here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
But hey, the hands are ok!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Road rash on the tummy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dressing the elbow
Heart 0 Comment 0
But the mirror is caput. Fans of these "Mirrycles" the best mirror there is, will find this painful.
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we reached the town of Sidney, some chocolate ice cream, and the incident was history. Sidney, as always, was lovely, with great sea views.

Avi and Violet reached Sidney. Where's the ice cream?
Heart 2 Comment 0

From Sidney we followed the Lochside Trail south to Mitchell Farm, where we met up with mom - Laurie. The kids will camp with Laurie nearby and return to Seattle. We will follow in a day, pick them up, and head for the Willamette.

Mitchell Farm has a great spot, that in Germany would be called a "radler treff". You can get home made burgers and fries with a view of farm land.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Are blackberries best eaten elegant grandma style, or kid style?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Violet says - what kind of bird is this?
Heart 0 Comment 1
Scott AndersonOh, what a cute little guy! Not that many birds have a black beak - maybe a baby Brewer’s Blackbird?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Today the kids cycled 40 km. Not bad. But in Willamette we will need 60-70. We know they can do it, though how much ice cream fuel will be needed is an open question.

Today's ride: 85 km (53 miles)
Total: 85 km (53 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonYou’ll see some traffic here and there, but I doubt you’ll see any logging trucks on this route unless you get lost and wander into the hills. I don’t recall ever seeing one on these roads.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonWell that's good. But logging truck is really only a place holder in our fevered minds for the suite of North American hazards: gravel truck, pickup truck, motor home with jeep behind, weekend handyman with trailer headed for dump, and generic yahoo behind a wheel!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago