Day 5: Corvallis to Keizer - Grampies Grand Willamette Excursion Summer 2019 - CycleBlaze

August 9, 2019

Day 5: Corvallis to Keizer

Thanks to Scott Anderson for this route, and especially for putting us on to Minto Brown Island! This track ends at Fred Meyer in Salem, where the GPS ran out of juice, but we continued to Quality Suites in Keizer.
Heart 1 Comment 0

This figured to be a long and tough day, so we got going early. Ot at least we tried. Here is Violet not quite yet in prancing mode.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Working on recommendations from Andrea Brown and Scott Anderson, we bypassed not only the danish-in-cellophane breakfast offering at our Rodeway Inn, and McDonald's, and headed for the Broken Yolk. The Broken Yolk is in the process of renaming itself Wise Cracks, but it claims this is the only change. The number of clients in the restaurant was only moderate, but the kitchen had little staff. Consequently it took 40 minutes for our stuff to come. The quantity of what came was good and the cost very moderate. Quality was only normal. I did cry later about a lack of fruit, but Dodie sagely pointed out that that was an option I had bypassed, in favour of the oily hash browns I did get. Overall, Broken Yolk was a good move, giving us lots of power for a long day.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Going to the  Broken Yolk meant that Dodie could have a peek at downtown Corvallis, as we made our way North and out.  We appreciated the bike lanes that the town is known for, as well as the pleasant suburban houses and gardens. 

Detail on a downtown building
Heart 1 Comment 0
A classic designed house near downtown
Heart 2 Comment 0
Flowers near downtown
Heart 2 Comment 0
Out towards the suburbs, there are still bike lanes
Heart 1 Comment 0

Before too long we were back to the regime of riding paved shoulder (or no shoulder) and being passed by cars often travelling at highway speed. However in every single case they gave enough clearance, and many slowed down and waited until it was safe to pass. It must be said, though, that those giving us the clearance were often taking it from oncoming traffic, and many gambled  on blind corners or hills.

Gambling on a blind hill
Heart 1 Comment 0
One other local hazard - included to entertain our European friends.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Scott had cautioned us about the Independence bridge, so we crossed instead with the  Buena Vista ferry. An added bonus of the ferry was that you could buy ice cream sandwiches on board!

This turned out to be the best way to cross the river.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Scott AndersonThey sell ice cream on the ferry now? What a great thing! That’s new in the last few years.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonYes indeed. There was ice cream sandwich and ice cream bar. Sandwich was $3 I think, and quite thick. Only thing, the journey is short so you have to eat fast.

p.s. On the other side, a chain link fence around some of the ferry electrics had clearly water weeds/debris stuck in it up to chest height, showing a previous flood level Yikes!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

After the ferry is was again paved shoulder and fast-ish traffic, until we could cut over to the Minto-Brown Park. It was a real pleasure being on car free paths for the length of the park, and then crossing to Salem on a rather elegant passerelle.

A real bike path!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heather tones in the park
Heart 2 Comment 0
The passerelle
Heart 2 Comment 3
Marvin PaxmanWe discovered this park 2 years ago when we were exploring Idaho, Oregon and Washington. It made us really love Salem.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonThis bridge is new in the last two years; and the pedestrianized old railroad bridge across the Willamette to West Salem is recent also. They have greatly improved the livability of the city.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Marvin PaxmanYes, it's a terrific asset for the city. We of course used it to get past the town!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Dodie spotted a Fred Meyer, and popped in to find some food for tomorrow during the day. We are both beginning to feel weak from the style of food we have been finding/buying, so Dodie came out with mainly veggies. 

We are counting on this to keep us strong tomorrow!
Heart 1 Comment 2
Laurie MarczakOlives surely met with approval from Violet!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesGrapes, actually.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

The kids were hoping for another pool, once we would reach the Quality Suites, but though they had one, it was closed for renovations. As I write this, they have spent the last two hours instead in bed, watching PBS (television). Soon we will walk out and see about finding something reasonably healthful for supper.

Tomorrow we will be retracing what was clearly the best section of the route, the one with all the many crops. That will end the cycle on a high note, and we already know that a pool and hot tub awaits in Newberg!

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 418 km (260 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Kathleen JonesI'm impressed with the distance. Your grandkids are amazing. The grandparents aren't so bad either.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonCongratulations! It’s not only a long ride, but there is a fair amount of climbing along the way too. Nothing big, but those little hills and rises add up.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Kathleen JonesThanks Kathleen! We some how did not predict that the distances would be so long, despite the excellent route website and having the gpx for it. So it was great that the kids just ate up the kms.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonYes, some of the hills were indeed pesky. Avi just went up them, but Violet frequently jumped off her bike and walked, before trying again. She has this amazingly fast and fluid motion for jumping off. So frequently I would find myself jamming on the brakes. Since my gears are derailleur, this would leave me in too high a gear as I restarted on the hill. On the final night, we failed to plug in my battery properly, leaving me riding unassisted. Even pedaling as a result a 90 pound (with load) 9 speed only bike was not so tough - because most of the route is fairly flat.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Rachael AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesVery impressive riding without the assist to Newberg. It may be mostly flat but I know of at least one steep climb.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago