Seattle to Whitefish to Apgar campground - Glacier and other delights - CycleBlaze

July 31, 2017 to August 1, 2017

Seattle to Whitefish to Apgar campground

This is our first trip on a long-haul Amtrak route, but it doesn't feel any different than our many experiences on the Cascades train to Portland. The staff at King Street Station are patient and helpful. Unfortunately, departure was delayed by about two hours. The crew tried their best to make up lost time. By the time we reached Whitefish, I think we were only about 50 minutes behind schedule. I find it difficult enough to sleep while traveling, but the temperature of the cars made it absolutely impossible. For the return trip, we will bring our sleeping bags on the train with us.

After getting everything in order and loaded up, it was off to the local Safeway to fuel up our stove. We then opted for busy Highway 2, but eventually bailed onto local streets at Columbia Falls. North Fork Road was fine. Blankenship Road was great at first, but soon trailed off to gravel. It was starting to get quite warm by the time we rejoined Highway 2 near the park entrance. We treated ourselves to lunch at the Wandering Gringo, which was pretty good considering the name.

Finding the campsite was easy, and we carried out our usual routine, including taking a quick dip in the lake and attending the ranger talk. We chatted with Shane, who was heading west towards Seattle. We made plans to reconnect in Seattle, but they didn't quite materialize.

Arrival at King Street Station begins the task of sorting out our baggage
Heart 0 Comment 0
Happy now but freezing later. This car sure has some powerful air conditioning!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Made it to Whitefish, but where are the bikes?
Heart 0 Comment 0
OK, that's better
Heart 0 Comment 0
A stretch of the road with a very wide shoulder
Heart 0 Comment 0
Almost there!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice hiker-biker sites at Apgar campground
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cooling off on a hot day
Heart 0 Comment 0
Happy and hungry
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hanging out with fellow tourist Shane from Nottingham
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 38 miles (61 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0