One Heart Beating - While I Am Waiting - CycleBlaze

January 1, 2023

One Heart Beating

Or Not, As The Case May Be

If you added up all the hours of surgery, my daughter's heart has been stopped for a minimum of one whole day of her life: 24 hours of silence, a machine doing the work of heart and lungs while a surgeon worked on plumbing, connections, and pipes and we waited, watching the clock.

Last September's clock ticked loudly in a health system strained by Covid to glacial slowness.  The minute hand ticked toward an indefinable moment when heart failure would no longer be reversible; the second hand moved relentlessly toward her 25th birthday and exit from our private health cover.  At the last minute a triple reprieve was granted: a space in the private system; a surgeon willing to take the risk; a change to the rules that allowed her to be covered until age 30.  We entered the parallel universe of hospital where waiting was practiced as an Olympic sport.  We waited for feedback; for the numbers to be good; for food and a shower and a phone call; for discharge and an ambulance, triage and a doctor; for blood transfusions and drug titration; for rehabilitation and 'normal' life.

I didn't ride my bike at all. 

Nine weeks passed.  Rain poured down over eastern Australia.  I watched as my beautiful daughter rediscovered a beautiful life: a life where a flight of stairs, once an insurmountable obstacle, became an opportunity.  We faded into the background, which is where parents ought to be in the life of a 25-year-old.  

I got out my bike and pumped up the tyres.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Melbourne lay outside my door, waiting to be explored.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Rachael AndersonI’m so glad to hear your daughter was able to get her surgery and it was successful!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Titanium PenguinTo Rachael AndersonThank you Rachel. We are so thankful for the enormous privilege we had to be able to jump into the private system and have her work done there and then jump back into the public system for follow up with her team of (many) specialists. Hopefully we freed up a bed for someone else to get their surgery publicly.
And now I can get back on my bike!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Mike AylingGreat result Catherine. You and your daughter must be over the moon!
AFAICR if you have medical insurance but go into the public system the public hospital sends a bill to your medical fund but there is no gap payment involved.

Mike
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Titanium PenguinTo Mike AylingThanks Mike, we are pretty happy! She's quite the rare beast medically, so for her public health has often been the only option and the care she's been given has always been above and beyond. We were just fortunate in this instance to be able to use both systems to her advantage and the removal of the age deadline was certainly a relief!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago