On a Rainy Day - While I Am Waiting - CycleBlaze

On a Rainy Day

Djerring Trail and Dandenong Creek

The Djerring Trail began not far from where my daughter lived and ran comfortably close to a train line, allowing me to hop on a train and go home if the sudden shock of riding a bicycle was too much to take. Thus I started my Melbourne explorations on the Djerring Trail, on a day dressed in shades of grey and adorned with miserable attempts at rain.

The beginning.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Djeering Trail ambled happily beside the Pakenham railway line, loitering beside playgrounds, lollygagging under the elevated railway, and making the most of grocery stores and cafes that clustered around all the stations.  It did all this very nicely until it inconsiderately ceased to exist just past Yarraman station and the Pakenham line rudely continued with no bicycle access at all.

That's the end of that then.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Thankfully the Eastlink trail took up where the Djerring left off, jilting the train altogether and plunging quickly into the wild terrain between Mile creek and the freeway. Apart from the unseen roar of traffic I could have been out in the country, pedaling happily beside Mile Creek while birds tweeted in the branches, water bubble between rocks, and the air was heavy with the scent of wattle.

Not quite out in the country, but the country could be imagined.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's a colorful photo!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

Mile Creek joined Dandenong Creek and I turned off the Eastlink trail to follow the Dandenong on it's way to the sea.  The trail meandered along a levee bank behind horse paddocks, past water treatment works and people racing model yachts in the creek.  Were I a model yacht racer or a rower paddling and splashing in the creek I may have had uncomfortable thoughts about the water treatment ponds on the other side of the levee bank, but I was on a bicycle high and dry on the top of the levee so I had no such uncomfortable thoughts at all.   Apart from complaining bitterly to no one in particular about the rain and the head wind, of course.

I passed an ibis nursery at the back of the water treatment ponds.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The levee was very exposed. I would come back two weeks later with Roger and we would ride here together in brilliant sunshine with a benign tailwind. This first, exploratory ride was but a slog into a cold, wet headwind.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Slog notwithstanding, I was delighted to find a wee bridge just for bicycles and pedestrians. The trail was muddy and at times rough, but there was a surprising amount of bicycle traffic as it was the only sensible link between the trails along the coast and the ones further north.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Water treatment ponds providing bird and flower habitat.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Back to civilisation.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Melbourne city across the bay from Dandenong Creek mouth.
Heart 1 Comment 0

 

Dandenong Creek met the sea at Carrum, and the path made hollow promises of sea-side riding to Frankstone.  This was not the case, I found myself on the nonexistent shoulder of the Nepean Highway, and rapidly backtracked to the safer but much more boring suburban trail beside the train line,  all the way to the end of both of them at Frankstone.

Very satisfied with myself, I caught a train home.

The train was fiercely air-conditioned and I was wet. It was a chilly ride home.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonGlad you could catch a train home. We loved bicycling in Melbourne when we were there in November of 2006. We talked our employer into letting us telecommute part time from there for 3 weeks and rode our bicycles around in the afternoon. We also did a mini tour of the great Ocean road and Tasmania.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
From the train.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 42 km (26 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonGlad to hear you we able to get out for a ride. Sorry the weather was bad.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Titanium PenguinThanks Rachel, I think that's just Melbourne in Spring. At least there's a plethora of great rides to choose from.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago