Wannon Creek to Hawkesdale - Beaufort to Warrnambool - CycleBlaze

March 9, 2019

Wannon Creek to Hawkesdale

Today was a relaxing sunny day with the ride in 3 parts. First a relaxing ride south on the Grampians road with more cars heading north towards Halls Gap than south. There is one steep section around Mt Abrupt, otherwise was in Dunkeld comfortably by 11am. Visited the Visitor information centre, learning that the railway station is now an art gallery, art work was okay but of more interest to me was how the railway station has been revitalise and as the lady explained it used to be the heart of the towns communication with the outside world, hence while certain establishments like old hotel and bakery existed away from highway.

Sunnier day today. Most of yesterday ride from Halls Gap is like this
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mt Abrupt, the climb for the day
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dunkeld Visitor information centre
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dunkeld railway station, now art Gallery
Heart 0 Comment 0

During the Victorian railway boom in the late 19th century, a railway line was built from Koroit to Penshurst and then split into 2 lines where one was built to the larger town of Hamilton not far south west of Dunkeld and another branch to Dunkeld directly, however with in 7 months the Penshurst to Dunkeld section was closed and rails removed not long afterwards. So for the second act of today I followed the former rail route where I could by taking some gravel roads and the main road south. Couldn’t see where the junction had been with the still open freight line between Ararat and Portland near Dunkeld station but did find the first road crossing and you can still see mounds where the formation went despite rails been removed 120 years ago and I would continued to see remains all the way to Penshurst with a lot of the rail right of way beside the main road closer to Penshurst.

120 years since rails were removed, right of way is still evident
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another shot showing how Rail right of way is still visible
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

In my haste to leave Dunkeld I forgot to get supplies so was glad to see the supermarket in Penshurst was larger than Dunkeld, so stocked up and since I was making good time went to visit the Volcanic Discovery centre in the former Rouse council offices as this part of Victoria has numerous inactive volcanos, hoping to revisit one called Tower Hill tomorrow. The Volcanic centre was informative and the lady there gave me lots of information about different types of volcanoes and they showed videos of volcanos erupting along with a collectible of colourful rocks.

Volcanic Discovery Centre in Penshurst
Heart 0 Comment 0

A few years ago I did a ride north from Koroit to Penshurst following the railway line so knew it was inaccessible in places so only followed it today for a short time. Hopefully one day it could become a rail trail connecting Warrnambool with Hamilton and in theory Horsham. Between Penshurst and Koroit the railway didn’t go through towns instead took a route in between them as the towns existed before railway. This was a factor in it not lasting so had to divert away from the railway to go to the town of Hawkesdale which does have an area for free camping at the Apex Park with BBQ, toilet, showers power and swimming pool but on weekends the General store is closed by lunch time and the pub looks like it is not in operation. Plenty of car based foreign tourist have pulled up for free camping. The golf course also offers camping so will go there as it should be quieter away form the road and lights.

Minhamite railway station remains
Heart 0 Comment 0
Always surprising what is regarded as historic. This culvert is in Hawkesdale near the Apex Park
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 94 km (58 miles)
Total: 284 km (176 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0