Day 8: Ferry to Prince Rupert - Western Canada 2007 - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2007

Day 8: Ferry to Prince Rupert

I got up at 5:45 and was on the road at 6:20. I usually take nearly 2 hours to get on the road. I arrived at the ferry at 6:30 and purchased a $138 ticket for me and the bike to Prince Rupert. The bike only cost $6.50.

The M.V. Northern Adventure, my home for the next 15+ hours.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ferry departed on time at 7:30. It was cloudy at first but sunny during the middle of the day. It was great fun to watch the scenery go by in Canada's inside passage. Most of the time there were steep mountains on both sides of the narrow channel.

Getting settled in for the long ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Everybody settled down for the long 15 hour ride. I ate 3 meals at the cafeteria but there wasn't much to do onboard the ship. Last year the ship on this ferry route sunk and B.C. Ferries was desperate to replace the ship. They purchased this ship from Europe and all the electrical outlets are 220V Euro plug. Not very convenient in North America! There were many foreign passengers, many apparently ferry-hopping to Alaska. I didn't see any other bicycle tourists.

M.V Northern Adventure sailing the inside passage from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The only town we passed was the remote town of Bella Bella which is accessible only by ferry or floatplane.

The town of Bella Bella is only accessible by boat or plane.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Watching the people watch the mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of several lighthouses the ferry passed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another lighthouse settlement.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ferry passed a few cruise ships that were decidedly slower.

Several other cruise ships were on the inside passage.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Later in the afternoon the sky became overcast, making the temperature cooler and the scenery less spectacular.

Waterfall on Canada's inside passage.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Gray skies and snow give somewhat of an arctic feel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ferry passed several cruise ships.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mountains near Prince Rupert.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ferry approached Prince Rupert at 10:15PM in the final minutes of daylight.

Approaching Prince Rupert in the twilight after 15 hours on the ferry.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I biked off the ferry in the waning light and hurried to the commercial campground 3 km away, arriving at 11PM. It started raining just after I got the tent set up and I went to bed at midnight, knowing I'm well rested now.

Distance: 5.6 km / 3.5 mi

Climbing: about 50 m / 165 ft

Today's ride: 6 km (4 miles)
Total: 585 km (363 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0