Day 4: Back to Warrnambool - Warrnambool to Port Fairy - CycleBlaze

April 5, 2013

Day 4: Back to Warrnambool

The next day saw us ride out of Port Fairy in brilliant sunny weather towards the Warrnambool 5.00 pm train. The return journey went well and we ate lunch at the Koroit Station before turning off the rail trail towards O' Briens Lane and the Tower Hill Wildlife Reserve; where we saw two Emus disappearing over the top of the bank from the car park.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The clear sunny weather meant we could see across the old volcano and its bright green reserve to the coast beyond and the blue sea.

Back on the rail trail we rode on until crossing Kelly's Swamp and now taking a different route through the suburbs of Warrnambool to our outward journey we rode along the Merri River which was boarded by a ribbon of reserve on each bank, on we rode past the old Warrnambool knitting mills which were being demolished and gradually being replaced with an estate of new homes and our bike path.

We followed the path to the Warrnambool Break Water where we had lunch and the end of our adventure - now we only had to get the bike on the 5.00 pm train and catch the 10.00 pm local train from Southern Cross to Mitcham Station and the short ride home. (our Vic Rail train was very late arriving at Southern Cross due to events beyond their control – but that's another story).

Link to The Sydney Morning Herald's article:- Seaside town living it up as world recognises it as best
http://www.smh.com.au/national/seaside-town-living-it-up-as-world-recognises-it-as-best-20121128-2ae78.html#ixzz2U09SXCjL

Warrnambool break water
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 110 km (68 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0