Day 73: Dorr Skeels Campground to Sand Point, ID - Seeking a Bicycle Warrior's Death, Part I: The Northern Tier - CycleBlaze

July 17, 2021

Day 73: Dorr Skeels Campground to Sand Point, ID

So Long Montana

(EDITING NOTE; narrative and video added)

Heart 0 Comment 0

Climbing Today; 2,033 ft                                Climbing to Date;  112,482 ft

It was a very pleasant early morning as we rolled out of Dorr Skeels at 05:40.  It would have been exceptional, but we were suffering from a lack of sleep due to our noisy neighbors last night.  But you just have to get over that and push ahead, and so we did.

Peaceful Early Morning Lake Scene
Heart 3 Comment 0
Fog Off The Lake In The Cool Morning
Heart 5 Comment 0
Early Morning Duck Patrol
Heart 4 Comment 0
Duck Patrol In The Mountain Reflection
Heart 3 Comment 0

We saw the usual assortment of wildlife today.  In addition to the ducks above,  there was other wild fowl roaming about.

Wild Turkeys
Heart 2 Comment 0

And of course there were deer; we almost always see deer.

"Hidden" In The Shadows
Heart 1 Comment 0

Here's today's weathered old barn pic.

Today's Barn Pic
Heart 3 Comment 1
Steve HenryBud can you ask around at the local diner if this barn is for sale? Someone must know the owner. I’d love to move there!!!! Just kidding…sort of. So glad you are inside tonight. Maybe the local pizza place can make a delivery to your room. And so glad you got the kids quiet last night. Young people can be so unaware of the needs of others. Anywho….enough for now…”over ‘n out”.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

I can't tell you how exciting it was to be leaving Montana.  Montana is a great state, it was beautiful and the people are mostly good, but we had an extremely tough time rolling through the plains  and dealing with the record heat.  And, of course, I had the 2-day medical layover when my 5th wisdom tooth went ballistic.  For a while I wasn't sure if i would be able to continue past Montana.  So even though there wasn't a "Welcome to Idaho" sign, the county line marks the state boundary and I grabbed a quick photo to document making it this far.  

No Idaho Sign, But The State Boundary Is At The County Line
Heart 4 Comment 0

It took a while to roll around Lake Pend Oreille and reach Sand Point, and then it took a bit of effort to finally reach our hotel. We were glad to be there.

Sand Point, Idaho Is Located Across Lake Pend Oreille In The Photo Center
Heart 1 Comment 0

Sand Point isn't my kind of place; it's a tourist town with high prices and too much congestion.  I stayed in the room to plan ahead a bit and Doc went out to eat at a nearby brewery.  Apparently he stumbled onto Sand Point's first-ever Gay Pride event. 

Sand Point Gay Pride Event Was Being Held Downtown (photo credit; Doc)
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our intent is to sleep a bit later in the morning (05:00) to make up for the lack of sleep last night, so we won't get rolling until about 06:30.  Good night folks, video snippets follow...

Today's ride: 70 miles (113 km)
Total: 3,743 miles (6,024 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0