Day 71: Eureka, MT to Koocanusa Resort, MT - Seeking a Bicycle Warrior's Death, Part I: The Northern Tier - CycleBlaze

July 15, 2021

Day 71: Eureka, MT to Koocanusa Resort, MT

This Is A Resort? Are You Kidding Me?

(EDITING NOTE; narrative and video added)

Heart 0 Comment 0

Climbing Today; 3,149 ft             Climbing to Date;  108,650 ft

Today's ride was certainly one of the most enjoyable we have had.  There was hardly no traffic, the weather was near perfect except for some stiff wind in the canyons early on, and we saw lots of wildlife.  Even though we climbed 3,000 feet, the grades were not too steep.

Just A Small Sampling Of The Deer I saw Today
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Morning Swim
Heart 1 Comment 0
Start The Countdown; I'm Blasting Off; 3
Heart 2 Comment 0
2
Heart 4 Comment 0
1
Heart 3 Comment 0
Blastoff! Go For Launch
Heart 4 Comment 0
Don't Call Me A Turkey
Heart 1 Comment 0

The bridge over Lake Koocanusa made an eerie whistling sound as the wind blew through the girders.  If you listen closely you may be able to hear it in the video at the end.

Bridge Over Lake Koocanusa
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Wind Through The Girders Creates An Eerie Whistling Sound
Heart 4 Comment 0

By the way, do you wonder how Lake Koocanusa got it's name?   Here's a big hint; the KOOtenai River flows from CANada to the USA.    The fire season shouldn't be here yet, it's a full month early this year.  So we are going to have to deal with the smoke.

Smoke Obscures The Horizon
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our destination today is the Koocanusa Resort.  I think there should be a minimum standard before a place can claim to be a "resort" - the Koocanusa Resort isn't much of a resort.  But for 2 cyclists needing a place to stay, I suppose it was sort of the last resort.

The Koocanusa Resort Was A Bit Basic
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nice View From The Deck Of The Bar/Restaurant
Heart 2 Comment 0

The bar/restaurant was OK and we ate lunch and dinner there.  But the "condo cabin" we stayed in needs a lot of updating.  There was no A/C and it was terribly hot.  They did provide 2 fans, 1 for the downstairs and 1 for the upstairs, but the windows had no screens.  So if you opened the windows you would get swarmed with mosquitoes.  It was an unpleasant night and we didn't sleep well.  To say the place was "rustic" is a huge understatement.  But we stayed inside and had a shower so there's that.  Some video snippets follow, good night...

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 3,618 miles (5,823 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0