Day 63: Great Falls, MT to Conrad, MT - Seeking a Bicycle Warrior's Death, Part I: The Northern Tier - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2021

Day 63: Great Falls, MT to Conrad, MT

A Grizzly Bicycle Warrior's Death

Heart 0 Comment 0

Climbing Today; 1,359 ft             Climbing to Date;  94,578 ft

I went to sleep right away last night, only to be woken by Doc making a call to his wife (my sister).  Thanks Doc.  After that I was up and down all night, finally waking for good 30 minutes before the alarm.   Such is life as you age - sometimes you sleep and sometimes not so much. 

Pre-Dawn Missouri River at Great Falls, MT
Heart 4 Comment 0

Montana has casinos.  Most of the folks who visit these places are people who can't afford to lose their money, yet that's what they do.   It seems like a very cruel way for the state to raise revenue - rather than taxing the people who can afford to pay, they swindle the money from those who desperately need it.  If I seem a bit opinionated it's because I am.

They Didn't Get Any Of My Money
Heart 2 Comment 1
Steve HenryNOW BUD….you might have fun at the casino, if you drop in the found money you might hit the jackpot!!!! Then you could buy a coffee shop franchise !!!! Try it and let us know how it goes….BTW….hope your toothache gets better….casinos always have fun diners and they could be good for a second breakfast. Our casino in Point Arena has great scrambled eggs, bacon and hash browns….all day long.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

It was cold this morning and I wore the wind jacket.  There was some condensation forming on the top of my handlebar bag, and you could see fog-haze when looking across the big valleys.

A Bit Of Moisture In The Air This Morning
Heart 5 Comment 0

Our route today consisted of riding the frontage road along I-15.  I think that I-15 must be one of the loneliest interstates in America.  

We Followed I-15 Today, Riding the Frontage Road
Heart 4 Comment 0

Making our way to Dutton, we found breakfast at a nice coffee shop in town.  I stopped at the post office afterwards and sent home what I expect to be the final package of things I don't need. Leaving there, I spotted a quarter on the roadway; the "found money" fund now stands at about $2.72, so the celebratory coffee is pretty much guaranteed.  Maybe I will find enough to make it a caramel frappucino instead. 

We met several other cycle tourists today.  A group of 3 hailed us as we rolled into Brady; they are included in today's video.   At least 1 of them (Liliana) is associated with a charity for musicians that raises money via a long distance bicycle ride; check it out here if you wish, it's a pretty cool site.  (editing note added in January 2023; that link seems to be bad now)

Rolling into Conrad, we met Summit, a young man who is riding the Northern Tier west to east solo.  We had lunch with Summit and enjoyed the conversation, then set out for the hotel.  But just a couple of blocks later we pulled over to chat briefly with a young lady who was also riding solo west to east. 

Our hotel is a Super 8 that is also a casino - great.  The rooms are fine for us, I just don't like the idea of pandering to the Super 8 crowd to raise state revenues.    When we walked into the Super 8, the following item was shown in the local paper;

A Cycle Tourist Met With A Grizzly End
Heart 1 Comment 0

The cyclist was a woman on a group cycling trip - that's all I can gather.  Here's a link to a CNN article about the incident;   Bear Attack

Ok folks, I got to go.  I have a bad toothache - that's the sort of unexpected thing that could shut me down early unless I can resolve it.   I'm struggling at the moment, will take some ibuprofen and hope I can sleep tonight.  Video follows...

Today's ride: 64 miles (103 km)
Total: 3,307 miles (5,322 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0