Day 54: Dickinson, ND to Buffalo Gap Campground Near Medora, ND - Seeking a Bicycle Warrior's Death, Part I: The Northern Tier - CycleBlaze

June 28, 2021

Day 54: Dickinson, ND to Buffalo Gap Campground Near Medora, ND

Badlands!

Heart 0 Comment 1
Steve HenrySuch beautiful canyon scenery today ….thanks for that. Check the temps. In the west….heatwave but may be over by the time you get that far. Take care…Steve
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Climbing Today;    1,848 ft                                       Climbing to Date; 79,992 ft

The Oasis Inn was a great place to stay in Dickinson. I was concerned since it’s an older hotel and they usually have small rooms which would make it difficult for us to put our bikes in, but this place has been remodeled and is quite nice. They gave us a first floor room that also had an outside door, so it was easy to bring our bikes in. And there was a good continental breakfast this morning.  So for a very reasonable price of $65, I would recommend this hotel for other touring cyclist who need an inside stay.

Just West Of Dickinson, ND
Heart 3 Comment 0

The wind was pretty calm this morning, so we had an easy roll to Belfield where we found our second breakfast at a café near the interstate.  It reminded me of a Cracker Barrel restaurant, and it was very busty for the 2 waitresses - but it served our needs and we rolled on.

Canola Stands Out In The Early Morning
Heart 3 Comment 0

The wind picked up later and was out of the Northeast! So we had a small tailwind component and that helped move us along. We rode a bit on I-94 for the second time,  and we stopped at the visitor center for the Painted Canyon at the Theodore Roosevelt National Park.  It seems a bit surreal to roll into a busy Visitor's Center off an interstate on bicycles - there were numerous semi trucks and huge RVs and vacationing folks in the parking lot, and there was us on our bicycles.  The Phat Pholk stared at us in bewilderment.

Badlands!
Heart 6 Comment 0

Rolling into Medora it was obvious that this is a tourist town. I found the Cowboy Café and texted Doc where I was, but the place closed before he got there.  We have decided to camp at a forest service campground just off the interstate that says that we can camp there regardless of whether there’s a site available.  It’s out-of-the-way a little bit but they have showers that are coin operated and it’s less expensive than the private campground in town. And it’s in the Little Missouri National Grassland so that’s a plus.

Prairie Dogs Aren't Really Dogs
Heart 4 Comment 0
Dog or Not, This Guy Was Barking At Me
Heart 3 Comment 0

We are seriously considering going off of the current ACA route and going up to Highway 2 and taking it across Montana. This was the original ACA route and was changed due to the oilfield traffic which was pretty intense in the 2010 era, but has since pretty much gone away. We need some time to plan it out fully, and it’s about time for a rest day anyway, so I think in a couple of days we’re gonna  take a rest day in Circle, Montana.  Circle is the point at which we have to commit to getting off the route or staying on the current ACA route.

I'm posting this from the free town wifi in Medora, ND.  Medora is a tourist town with all the nonsense of any such place, but it's a nice place anyway.  I mailed a package home to the wife to reduce some load, grabbed some lunch, did this journal entry, then bought some food for tonight and tomorrow morning's camping.  Then we headed out, anxious to reach the campground.  Oh, almost forgot - I made sure I had some quarters for the coin-operated showers at the campground. 

I hope you have a nice shower tonight and that it doesn't require quarters to keep the water running.  Good night all...

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 2,823 miles (4,543 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Jeanna & Kerry SmithBuddy,
We're going to be in Glendive on Wednesday, June 30 at the Comfort Inn. Do you think you guys will be in Glendive that day? It would be great to meet up. We are enjoying following your trip. We'll be on your recent route eastbound when we leave Glendive.
Jeanna and Kerry
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauHi Bud & Doc,

I'm still watching your progress and rooting for you the whole way. I've camped at the Buffalo Gap Campground on two separate bike trips while on two separate routes. I really, really like the landscape around there and it continues for a few miles west -- as you probably have already seen by the time you read this comment.

If you want to head northwest from Circle up to Highway 2, I wouldn't let the oilfield traffic deter you. When I rode the Northern Tier in 2013 I didn't think it was that bad and that's when the Bakken Oilfields were still booming. In fact, I recall being more concerned about all the over-sized loads that were hauling farm machinery.

Four years later, the first part of my "Mr. Nice Guy Goes Bad" tour went right through the heart of the Bakken Oilfields (Williston/Watford City) and even that wasn't too awful. (Though, by that time, the Bakken wells were only pumping about half of what they were pumping during the boom.)

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Your Minnesota pal, Greg
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
George HallTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithJeanna and Kerry,

We are staying at the Comfort Inn in Glendive tonight! On Wednesday we are heading for Circle - perhaps we will meet up on the road.

Buddy
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
George HallTo Gregory GarceauThanks Greg, good to know. We are planning a rest day in Circle and will figure out our path forward then. What we really need is someone who has ridden both routes to make a recommendation. Best wishes,

Buddy
Reply to this comment
2 years ago