Day 45: Alexandria, MN to Fergus Falls, MN - Seeking a Bicycle Warrior's Death, Part I: The Northern Tier - CycleBlaze

June 19, 2021

Day 45: Alexandria, MN to Fergus Falls, MN

Marianne, Alexandria Bike Club, and End Of The Trail

Heart 0 Comment 0

Climbing Today; 850 ft                         Climbing to Date;  70,762 ft

The alarm was set for 04:45 but I woke up early and turned the alarm off, then did my stretches and pushups before waking Doc up.  We were out the door by 05:30, and there was little traffic at that hour so we took the main roads back towards the trail.   We found a convenience store open, but they had not yet had time to prepare any hot breakfast items.  No problem, I microwaved a small breakfast sandwich made using cornbread and washed it down with milk.  Then we hit the trail for a rather leisurely day of riding.

The Trail Passes By Many Lakes
Heart 7 Comment 1
Steve HenryBud and Andy, I called a good friend of mine, Linda in Sandy,Oregon and told her to check out your fabulous interview with Marianne. Linda is a pioneer woman just like Marianne. Linda’s mom was a part of a girl’s bicycle group who, in 1939, rode from Grant’s Pass, Oregon all the way to New York and they ended their trip at the New York World’s Fair. Isn’t that incredible? She was 17 years of. As Julia Henry would say, “who’d ah think it”!!!!! Anyway, to add to the story, her mom rode through the Taos Pueblo and bought a pottery bowl made by the now famous “Maria” of the Taos Pueblo. Somehow that piece made its way to NY and back home to Oregon with her. Now it’s Linda’s and stored away somewhere with her local newspaper’s clipping of the girl’s starting their journey across the USofA…..isn’t that just amazing???
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

What was the Lake Wobegone Trail had morphed into the Central Lakes State Trail - different name but same great trail.  Birds were chirping, frogs croaking, and chipmunks, squirrels, and rabbits all scurrying around in the early morning.

Trumpeter Swans
Heart 5 Comment 0

I noticed a rather unusual contraption headed at me and turned on the GoPro to capture it, and that's when we met Marianne.  She was headed east with her little dog, and this was her 5th continental crossing!  She is mostly camping, and averages almost as many miles per day as we are.  We were impressed, and humbled, by her experience.  She told us about the North Dakota terrain and gave us a generally favorable opinion of the current ACA route in Montana.   Today's video includes a long conversation with Marianne - the GoPro was still mounted on my helmet and so I apologize that sometimes I am filming above her, but that's what happens when you let an amateur GoPro operator run wild.

Marianne (photo credit; Doc)
Heart 7 Comment 1
Judy HenryOmg I want to be like Mary Ann when I grow up!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

After rolling for about 29 miles, we entered the town of Ashby where we went looking for a real breakfast and found it at the City Cafe.  As we were getting ready to walk in, a lady cyclist engaged us in conversation about our trip.  Later, after we were seated and waiting on our order, she came up and told us she was part of a bike club that was having breakfast in another room and asked if we would be willing to come and talk to them when we were done.  Of course we did, and had a good time chatting with these folks who had ridden up from Alexandria for breakfast.  They are fortunate to have such a great trail available for them to take a Saturday morning breakfast ride.

Beautiful Wildflowers Can Be Found Along The Trail (photo credit; Doc)
Heart 4 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltPhlox
https://www.minnesotawildflowers.info/flower/prairie-phlox
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltPhlox
https://www.minnesotawildflowers.info/flower/prairie-phlox
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
George HallTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks for the info on the flowers Bill, I added that to the journal entry. Best,

Buddy Hall
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Bill Shaneyfelt pointed out that the above flowers are Prairie Phlox - thanks for that info Bill. We rolled on and reached Fergus Falls fairly early.   Fergus Falls is the end of the Minnesota trail system for us.  I had mistakenly thought we would be on it for 3 days, but the 2 days we were on it was great.  Fergus Falls is in Otter Tail county, and they are apparently proud of that fact judging by the giant otter below.

We Are In Otter Tail County
Heart 4 Comment 0

Our next jump will be to Fargo, ND.  The weather forecast for tomorrow is a bit harsh with rain and adverse winds, and we have been riding for 11 days now, so a rest day is in order.  We will use our "rest" time to do laundry, plan ahead, and make reservations.  We are at the point where we need to plan the remainder of the journey to be certain we can arrive on schedule.  The long-range weather forecast isn't favorable from the standpoint of wind, and there are some long gaps with no services between towns, so we need to plan carefully.  It's about to get real, as in a real serious adult game now.  We have been spoiled with having lots of services and many options regarding where we stayed so far, but things are changing.  The High Plains of North Dakota and Montana await us, and not always with welcoming arms.  We are awed and humbled by the prospect of the plains - and frankly, it's a bit frightening.

Today's truly amateur video is perhaps even more amateurish than usual.   Good night everyone...

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 2,366 miles (3,808 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Marianne PhillipsHey, I found you. You did a pretty good job filming for just getting used to it. I could follow most of the conversation. Now you need to link together all your stories from one day. At first I thought the first segment was all you got and that our conversation hadn't worked out.
It was really great talking with you. I was needing some human interaction. If you want to follow me on Instagram, I am under, Triking_with_rufus. I'm so glad I met both of you today. Have a great trip. May the wind be ever at your back. Marianne
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
George HallTo Marianne PhillipsMarianne,

Thanks for checking in - now that I know how to spell your name correctly I have corrected it in the journal! I'll try to keep up with you and Rufus, best of luck on the remainder of your journey,

Buddy Hall
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensYou are making great progress! And see bill shaneyfelt has helped identify plants for you as well! We are in Glacier NP, and the going to sun road not open yet so going the southern route, then we will be across MT and ND, and we will meet up?
Racpat
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve HenryI just loved the post today! Marianne and Rufus are just amazing. Plus the lime green folks at the diner were so nice and perky. What a fun day!!!!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
George HallTo Rachel and Patrick HugensRacpat,

We should be in Fargo North Dakota tomorrow, so our paths will definitely meet up!

Buddy
Reply to this comment
2 years ago