Day 35: Muscatine, IA to Oxford Junction, IA - Seeking a Bicycle Warrior's Death, Part I: The Northern Tier - CycleBlaze

June 9, 2021

Day 35: Muscatine, IA to Oxford Junction, IA

Donna To The Rescue!

Heart 1 Comment 2
Steve HenryBud and Doc,
What beautiful country. I want to move to that red barn behind the house! I love that you get such nice helpful people. That wouldn't happen in most states, certainly not here in California. The next time you are in a small town, ask the locals where you can go get a nice home cooked type dinner....I'm worried about all the pizza and want you to start having some green vegetables, some mashed potatoes and gravy and perhaps a chicken fried steak....sweetened ice tea.....lemon merange pie!!!!! What about it?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
George HallTo Steve HenrySteve;

I've been trying to get my veggies when I can. It's Doc who has diet issues - his main diet is cheeseburgers and fries and ice cream and beer. Your pie suggestion sounds good, I'll keep my eyes open! Thanks,

Bud
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Climbing Today; 1,061    Climbing to Date; 54,717 ft

We enjoyed the hot breakfast at the Comfort Inn and hit the road at 06:45.  Today's forecast called for a high of 90 with light easterly winds.  NOW we get an easterly wind, where was it when we needed it and were battling the westerly winds across Illinois?  We will be heading north for several days now, so what we want is a stiff southerly breeze.

The terrain is similar to western Illinois, but there are more rolling hills here.  We climbed a bit more than we expected today.

Rolling Hills in Eastern Iowa
Heart 6 Comment 0

Our first chance for a break was about 20 miles out in the town of Bennett, and we stopped at the Cenex store and enjoyed a bit of second breakfast.  Doc engaged a young man in the store in conversation - this turned out to be a mistake as the young feller just wasn't quite right and it was nearly impossible to get rid of him - eventually Doc wandered off to the restroom and I pretended to be on a phone call and he wandered off.

Old Barn Pic of the Day, Just Because
Heart 6 Comment 0

From Bennett we rolled another 10 miles to Lowden and once again stopped at the local convenience store.  I had a slice of Buffalo Chicken pizza and a 32 ounce cup of tea for lunch - but mostly we just enjoyed sitting inside at a table out of the heat and bugs.  What exactly is a Buffalo Chicken anyway?  Is it a big chicken or a small buffalo or did some mad biologist merge the DNA of these 2 incompatible animals?   We Americans eat some of the strangest stuff and pretend that it's normal.

A Pretty Homestead Well Sheltered In The Trees
Heart 5 Comment 0

From Lowden we rolled onward toward Oxford Junction.  When the clouds covered the sun it was nice, but otherwise the heat was intense on the uphills.  And whenever we stopped for a break we were overwhelmed with gnats and mosquitoes.  We both realized that camping was going to be miserable tonight, but neither of us wanted to mention it - that was our fate and we needed to accept it and get through this day and night. 

There Be Dragons and Unicorns! Is There Magic In The Air?
Heart 2 Comment 0

Rolling into Oxford Junction, we prepared to head out to the park and set up camp.  Doc talked to a local fellow who explained to us that the park only had a pit toilet and no running water.  OK then, we needed to stock up on water before we headed out.   But first we surveyed the town to see what sort of food and supplies were available.  We stopped in at the only restaurant, which was the local bar - that seems to be a common practice in these small mid-western towns.   We got into a discussion with Donna, the proprietor, and she asked us if we had rather stay inside tonight in the community center. Both our jaws nearly hit the floor as we each stumbled for the perfect reply, because, yes, OF COURSE we had rather stay inside away from the bugs in a building with running water.  Donna called Dick, the gentleman who controls access to the Community Center, and arranged for him to meet us in 10 minutes to show us the layout of things.  

Doc With Dick
Heart 3 Comment 0

So now we are sleeping inside in air conditioned comfort in a building with running water.  We are pretty darn happy with this change in plans to say the least.  Much thanks to Donna and Dick and all the nice folks of Oxford Junction, IA.  We have met some nice folks all along the way since we started on the coast in Maine - it would be hard to say which state has the nicest folks, because they have all been great - but Iowa certainly ranks high on the list.

Donna (center) With Some of the Local Crowd at Schakey's Place
Heart 4 Comment 0

The Community Center was used as a Senior Center, but Dick says it no longer is.  Fortunately we weren't here last Wednesday, because that was bingo night!  Tonight it's all ours, and Doc and I will each have a couch to sleep on - honestly, the floor would have been fine too because we have our air mattresses for camping.  So tonight, even though we aren't camping, we are happy campers indeed!

Our Home For The Night - We Think It's A 5-Star Hotel!
Heart 3 Comment 0

I am sitting inside the local library to compile and upload this entry.  It's a nice place, as have been other public libraries I have visited along the way - I hope you all support your local library.  I hope you are all sheltered from the heat and bugs tonight.  Some of the things we take for granted can become immensely important when you lose them, so learn to be happy with the comforts you have. Good night all - and, of course, a totally amateur video follows for your amusement.

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 1,779 miles (2,863 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0