Day 34: Rest Day in Muscatine, IA - Seeking a Bicycle Warrior's Death, Part I: The Northern Tier - CycleBlaze

June 8, 2021

Day 34: Rest Day in Muscatine, IA

Listening To The Corn Grow

"Rest days" aren't really for resting when you are on a bike tour.  Laundry, journal updates, planning ahead and booking rooms, bike maintenance, packaging things to ship home - the day goes by quickly.  And so this day has nearly slipped away. 

As many of you know, the decision to ride this route was a last-minute change from our original plan, and we really had no time to do any advance planning.  And so now we have discovered that we will be camping a lot more, simply because the options for indoor stay are limited or non-existent.  Hopefully we can distribute the camping days with hotel stays so we can recover.  Much of the camping will be at city parks, and this can be OK - or not - depending on whether you can avoid the late night automatic sprinklers and whether the local kids want to play basketball or hang out all night near your campsite.   So it is what it is.

1898 Cernos Bar, Kewanee, IL - Photo Credit: Doc
Heart 3 Comment 1
Mike AylingI love those pressed metal ceilings.

Mike
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We've been riding through corn in Indiana and Illinois, and now we will be riding through Iowa cornfields.  When the wind isn't blowing, I like to stop and listen to the corn grow.  You think I'm joking? You can hear the corn grow.   And during a day of riding, you can see that the stalks have gotten higher.  No kidding.  Watch for yourself.

So if you really have nothing else to do, you could spend some time in an Iowa cornfield and listen to the corn grow.  You might experience a zen-like state of existence and discover the true meaning of life.   Who knew that watching and listening to corn grow could be so entertaining?

I hope you find creative and worthwhile ways to entertain and enrich yourself.  At the moment, I'm entertaining the idea of eating dinner.  Good night folks - tomorrow commences a new chapter for us, and we will be camping in the Wapsie Park at Oxford Junction.  I hope there's a cornfield nearby to gently sing me to sleep...

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0