To Schaffhaussen: Our first night in Switzerland - From Copenhagen's Little Mermaid to Milan's Great Cathedral - CycleBlaze

September 21, 2012

To Schaffhaussen: Our first night in Switzerland

Once more we were travelling over ground that we had covered last year and as yesterday our memories were blurred. The weather was again glorious as we swept through fields of corn, sugar beet apples and extremely lush looking grass. Some of the grass had been mown, this always makes me feel happy because surely the farmers must be anticipating a couple of days of good weather . Both of us had been remembering a lovely little town we passed through last year and had visions of coffee in the town square. It didn’t come and we were to find later it was Walshut and we had missed it by taking a bypass by the river. Never mind the route beside the river was lovely and it had that fine gravel that makes a lovely crunch under our tires.

A little while after this a couple of cyclists in yellow coats and crash helmets wizzed past us as I was laboring up hill. I thought they must be English speaking as they said ‘thank you’ then ‘danke’ with a non German accent. We caught up a little later and they turned out to be Alistair and Margie from Perth riding the EV6 . They proved to be good company as we rode along and we stopped for coffee after a while. Margie bought some extremely yummy Black Forrest Cake which we shared. Have a wonderful time on the rest of your trip.

Our descent into the Rhine Falls was well remembered from last year and Ken took the obligatory photo of the Falls for you Jan and I resisted calling Ursula!! For us the end of the day was at Schaffhusen. We had stayed here last year but having ridden all the way from Basel (well over 100km) but had arrived late, tired and struggling to find accommodation so had not seen anything of what is a very charming small city. This year is entirely different and we have a hotel in the centre of the old town. We have walked the streets admiring all the old buildings and in a few minutes will go out and find somewhere to eat hunting once more for that well known Swiss delicacy Lemon Spaghetties followed perhaps by some Springly Chocolate.

A lovely track along the river but we missed Walshut
Heart 0 Comment 0
He loved the lambs
Heart 0 Comment 0
The apples were being collected and taken to the lacal co-op for juicing the tractor was a three cylindar, air cooled Kramer 1965
Heart 0 Comment 0
With Alister and Margie
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lovely houses all along the way
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Set beside an apple orchard
Heart 0 Comment 0
Poor Matthew, the Pukeko didn't get a good view of the Rhine Falls his view was blocked by my bag
Heart 0 Comment 0
For you Jan- the top off the Rhine Falls
Heart 0 Comment 0
Town gates of Schaffhausen
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are wonderful statues in the street but most in the shade
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 3,009 km (1,869 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0