Time in Brisbane - off the bike: August 2nd - August 5th - From Copenhagen's Little Mermaid to Milan's Great Cathedral - CycleBlaze

July 16, 2012

Time in Brisbane - off the bike: August 2nd - August 5th

The weather in Brisbane in the winter is absolutely glorious. Fairly cool mornings then lovely sunny days with temperatures in the mid twenties, not a cloud in the sky and no wind of any significance. Ideal for cycling of course and there are great looking cycle routes all over the place and hoards of people making use of them.

We haven’t taken the opportunity to use them as our purpose here has been to catch up with Jane and Mark and their family. A very busy time it has been too. On Thursday Jane, Ken and I went to an exhibition of portraits from the Prada and in the evening a very impressive choral performance at Charlotte's school - she is a keen choir member.

Yesterday we went to the movie A Royal Affair which is set in Denmark and about the ghastly things that were happening during the reign of King Christian 6. A really good film that gives us an insight into a very small part of Danish history.

The weekends in this household are devoted to sport. We set out at the crack of dawn for Jacob’s weekly athletic meet. Then on to Charlotte’s netball. On to Matthew’s soccer, quick lunch and then to Mark’s soccer. Jacob was very disappointed that his soccer team had a bye this weekend. It is no wonder that Australia does so well at sport, their organization of these events is absolutely superb, and the participation and enthusiasm is enormous. Never do you see obesity but Jane assures me we are not looking in the right places for this.

Sunday was a soccer tournament that Matthew’s team was playing in where we spent most of the day sitting in the sunshine.

Once again we were at the absolute limit as far as our luggage was concerned and this time even our hand luggage was weighed. It too was at the limit of 7kg. We spotted two others with bike boxes. They were Glenda and Kevin ex Kiwis now living on the Gold Coast. Naturally we had fun talking to them. They are flying into Amsterdam and making their way to Bordeaux before going North again to Paris. The weight limit was not quite such a problem for them as they have light carbon fiber bikes so were even a couple of kilos under and certainly weren’t burdened down with the hand luggage we are. We just have to wait for our boarding call now and get on with what will be 25hours of flying before we arrive in Copenhagen.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the river
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jacob winning his 200m race at the athletics meeting
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hanging out in the dug out.
Heart 0 Comment 0
jacob's team having their photo taken
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jane cooked us pretty yummy food,perhaps we don't need to go to France
Heart 0 Comment 0
Matthew the boy with Matthew the Pukeko.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is for my Pokeno Quilting friends. It is my show and tell for next Monday
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0