Goodbye to the Moselle: Welcome to the Rhine - From Copenhagen's Little Mermaid to Milan's Great Cathedral - CycleBlaze

September 10, 2012

Goodbye to the Moselle: Welcome to the Rhine

Breakfast was unusual this morning because we were given a small glass of champagne. No doubt it sped us on the way. Today was our last on the Moselle Radweg. It is certainly a route I would recommend to anyone. It is a very easy ride within the grasp of anyone who can balance on two wheels, it is impossible to lose your way and the surface is well paved. It is of course beautiful and full of interest. There are such frequent small towns that you can take it as slowly as you like – we only did about 50km a day as we were enjoying it so much but today met a group with an old man (probably even older than us!) who were only doing about 20km a day.

When we reached Koblenz we were sorry to say goodbye to the Moselle but it was exciting to say hello to the Rhine. We had decided that as Koblenz is such a big city we would continue along the Rhine a bit and find a place of more manageable size. First we had to find the Tourist Information as we did not have any map of the Rhine before Mainz. Our luck held and we were picked up by one of our Guardian Angels, this time a young Indian man who rode with us to the Tourist Information. Set up with a map and good instructions it was easy to get out of town and find the route. We are here at the picturesque little town of Rhens which is not much more than 10km out of Koblenz. Our accommodation is in an ancient half timbered house and most of the other guests seem to be either cyclists or walkers .

The motorway flies above us and the man spraying his vines
Heart 0 Comment 0
Those vineyards are sure steep
Heart 0 Comment 0
I cross the Moselle for the last time
Heart 0 Comment 0
Welcome Rhine
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the house we are in
Heart 0 Comment 0
The biergarten in the hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0
The town square of Rhen
Heart 0 Comment 0
The town walls
Heart 0 Comment 0
I love this statue in the main street of Rhen
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 2,297 km (1,426 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0