Arrival In Copenhagen - From Copenhagen's Little Mermaid to Milan's Great Cathedral - CycleBlaze

August 6, 2012

Arrival In Copenhagen

Long distance flying is one of the most exhausting activities you can do. Our first leg from Brisbane to Dubai was over 13 hours. I was very tired so slept well to start with but we struck bad turbulence over Indonesia and that was the end of my sleep. Five hours on the ground in Dubai then another 7 to Copenhagen. We landed in heavy rain but I had been watching the weather forcast so was expecting it. Two flights had arrived at once so the baggage claim area was heaving with people. Now it was a nervous wait to see if it all turned up and in what condition. The bags came through relatively quickly and back I went to Ken who was waiting at the oversize baggage claim. Beside it was Austin from Minnesota who with what seemed to me amazing skill was putting his bike together. It is his first long distance ride, he has about the same length of time as us in Europe and will finish in Paris, I think we are likely to see him on the way. It made me feel very pleased that we had our booking for the night at the Cabinn City as he had nothing and wondered if he might find a camp ground.

After about an hour or so we were beginning to wonder if the bikes would ever turn up. It was certainly a great sense of relief when suddenly they appeared. Now was the moment of truth. The boxes looked OK but how about the contents? There was a reasonably quite place beside the belt so we set ourselves up there to put the bikes together and provide amusement for the masses. We opened things up and obviously the Gods of the baggage handlers had been smiling on us, what is more Mark had done an amazing job in the packing. All delicate parts were perfectly protected and small bits packed in a way they couldn’t get lost. About an hour later the bikes were together and looked great. It was now time to provide even greater amusement for everyone as we had to completely unpack our bags and get everything into panniers. There were assorted pieces of underwear and camping gear everywhere but eventually it was all stowed, though as yet in random places, and our steeds were loaded. Full marks must go to the airport staff who were not only too happy with our activities but even showed us where there was a pump for tires, the only problem with it was that it didn’t work.

We emerged into the real world,the rain had stopped and there was even a patch of blue sky. Now to find our way to the Cabinn. I did have a map I had printed out at Jane’s but that was completely useless. A few enquires as to the direction of the centre and we were on our way. The way was on bike lanes ALL the way. There is absolutely no concern about the motor traffic. The cycle traffic however was scary as we are completely unused to riding with so many others. I found it rather like the Auckland Motorway at peak hours but these were bikes and ours were unusually wide. Copenhagen is a city where the bike reigns supreme, our kind of city. Instead of having an SUV to drive the kids to school mums have a trike with a large compartment out front in which a number of children can sit and even small children were riding bikes. We made it to the centre with relative ease but now the challenge was to find the hotel. Who better to ask than a bicycle taxi driver. Lady luck was again smiling on us as he had just picked up a fare going to the same hotel and said follow me. The Cabinn is completely charmless. We have a tiny hot room with two bunks and a bathroom which is like one in a camper van. However it is spotless and is amazingly well equipped with everything we need including a fantastic WIFI connection. We seem to be unable to escape soccer. There is a large team of small boys, the men in charge have large netting bags of balls. These balls have yet to be inflated and released so the main source of sport for the kids at the moment is chasing each other around up and down the lifts.

After trashing the room we were beginning to fade badly. It was now time to walk into Hans Anderson Square for dinner. We ate at a very nice steak house sitting at the open french doors looking out into the street. As expected we were shocked by the price of the meal. I only went to sleep once while eating the massive pile of spare ribs and we were astounded to see a completely naked man walking down the street. From the reaction of the proprietor I don’t think this is usual.

Matthew, the Pukeko waits for his connecting flight in Dubai
Heart 0 Comment 0
The moment of truth. Austin in the background
Heart 0 Comment 0
About to leave the baggage claim
Heart 0 Comment 0
Plenty of bikes parked at the airport
Heart 0 Comment 0
We walked past the Tivoli amusement park on the way to dinner
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 17 km (11 miles)
Total: 17 km (11 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0