Along the Meuse: La Route des Fortifications - From Copenhagen's Little Mermaid to Milan's Great Cathedral - CycleBlaze

September 1, 2012

Along the Meuse: La Route des Fortifications

Well here we are at in at “Auberge du Faisson Dore” in Inor. I bet there is not a single person reading this who knows where Inor is let alone have been here – that is unless you happen to be a boaty and travel the French Waterways then you might have been through it as there is a lock here.

Today we were relying on the GPS to take us along the Meuse and we were travelling for the most part of it along “La Route des Fortifications“. There were defensive pill boxes all along the route built in the 1930s in an attempt to stop the Germans coming out of the Ardennes crossing the Meuse and invading France. They did however get across near Sedan. Pill Boxes have a strange memory for me. It takes me back to when I was 2 or 3 years old playing on the beach in Napier (NZ) in front of one. I must have been leaning against it and a soldier posted out a chocolate bar to me through one of the splits. My father was “away at the war” at the time so I wondered if he was posting chocolate bars to little girls. I can’t see one without wandering if I will get chocolate.

We called in at Sedan, it was much bigger than I expected and there was a huge confusing market going on, we were glad to have a coffee and escape. We were passing Mouzon and decided to call in. A very good decision as this place is an absolute gem with immaculate buildings in the yellowish stone which is so typical of this area. There is a huge Abbey Complex which we enjoyed.

After that however the GPS decided to punish us and took us on the most mountainous road it could find instead on straight along the river. We were exhausted by the time we got here and in need of a cold beer. The hotel is charming with a room so typical of small French rural hotels, tiny, with lace covering the windows and a shiny white satin bed cover. Our hostess is lovely, one of those people that it is easy to talk French to as she has no English and is patient with my attempts. We certainly look forward to what is being provided for us for dinner at sept heurre.

Lots of memorials along this route
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sedan
Heart 0 Comment 0
No chocolate here
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our lunch stop
Heart 0 Comment 0
The very old organ at Mouzan
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 1,811 km (1,125 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0