Along the Lubeck Elbe Canal to Lauenburg - From Copenhagen's Little Mermaid to Milan's Great Cathedral - CycleBlaze

August 16, 2012

Along the Lubeck Elbe Canal to Lauenburg

Dogs were out walking along the canal trying very hard to please their owners. Our route was along the Lubeck Elbe Canal until it joined the river at Lauenburg. The signpost said it was 93 km which should be OK as the route would be clear just as long as we didn’t have a head wind or really bad track conditions. Well the good news was that it was only 79km, the surface wasn’t too bad, it was unpaved but had few potholes and not a lot of loose gravel. As far as wind was concerned it was still untill about half way along then the wind came up but because we were twisting and turning it wasn’t always a head wind.

Canal cycling isn’t always the most exciting because often as with this canal the towns and villages are off to the side. At one point we saw an alternative out to the side and decided to take it. Not a good idea as it went straight up into the forest and after about 500m of good sealed surface it deteriorated Into a loose sandy and bumpy surface which was very difficult to ride. After about 10km we were rewarded when we got to Molin and sat at a Bakarie in the main street drinking coffee and eating pastries. Back on the canal. During the day 2 large cargo barges went by and there was a sprinkling of small pleasure craft mostly travelling at a sedate pace.

Just before Lauenburg the cycle way had been closed so we had to go out to the side and this involved a steep hill then the usual treasure hunt for the Tourist Information so we both arrived a bit grumpy. A shower and a beer have fixed things and we are looking forward to eating our dinner looking over the Elbe which is the river we rode along going to Prague 2 years ago.

The Marian Kirk across the canal
Heart 0 Comment 0
The typical path
Heart 0 Comment 0
A large pleasure craft full of waving tourists
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bridge we need to cross tomorrow
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our Hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 79 km (49 miles)
Total: 570 km (354 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0