Along Bodensee: Germane, Switzerland and Ausria - From Copenhagen's Little Mermaid to Milan's Great Cathedral - CycleBlaze

September 23, 2012

Along Bodensee: Germane, Switzerland and Ausria

It wasn’t raining when we woke although the clouds were very low. One thing for certain I should not have written yesterday that we hadn’t had any punctures ! When Ken went to get the bikes (they were up three flights of stairs) low and behold my back tire was completely flat. Luckily we hadn’t checked out so we were able to clean up the oily mess after we (Ken) had done the job, We were unable to find what had caused the puncture but the repair has held up all day so fingers crossed.

Our ride today was along the shores of Bodensee, which is a surprisingly large lake. With the gloomy conditions we could barely see to the other side. Once we had cleared all the sprawl of Konstanze we were going through small town after small town which are now basically resorts. Between these was farmland much of it devoted to the meticulous apple orchards we saw yesterday. It was at Rorschach that we stopped in the park for a rather chilly lunch and I thought of my friend Carol who had worked there many years ago when she was much younger.

One of the things a bit confusing about today was that we were in and out of different countries all day. Sometimes you go through a frontier post but often you can only tell because the colour of the Radweg signs changes. We reached the town of Rheineck (same as the beer brand ) this is at the start of the Rhein delta (where the Alter Rhein goes into Bodensee). We crossed a bridge and goodness gracious we were in Austria. It seemed about the right time to be looking for somewhere to stay so when we came to a small hotel in the little Austrian town of Hochst my bike wouldn’t go past it. We have a lovely big room at a reasonable price, Ken watched the Singapore Grande Prix on TV, then as the sun was now shining we went out to see what Hochst had to offer.

We were crossing borders all day
Heart 0 Comment 0
They are kind to their goats in Switzeland
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along Bodensee
Heart 0 Comment 0
Even the yiny new apple trees are heavily ladden
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rorschach where Carol worked
Heart 0 Comment 0
Austria
Heart 0 Comment 0
A wonderful seat
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is where we are staying, I think we will have a good meal
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 59 km (37 miles)
Total: 3,121 km (1,938 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0